Wednesday 27 November 2013

Shiralee: Crick Marina # 3

23rd November to 28th November

Saturday 23rd November

If you’ve heard of Open Office, you’ll know that there are several varieties of this free alternative to Microsoft, one of which is called Apache. But the one that I have on disc is called Ubuntu, an African word meaning ‘shared humanity’.

I’ve already loaded Apache on the Toshiba laptop, but this morning I decided to give Ubuntu a go. This is much bigger than Apache, at 5 Gb and according to the blurb, also gives completely free and secure access to the Internet via Firefox.

It kind of mirrors what you would expect to see on a Windows screen, except that all the programme icons sit to the left hand side.

Unfortunately, with the limited time at my disposal first thing in the morning I really didn’t have enough of that commodity with which to investigate further. It seems though, as if it is necessary to manually select the means by which you wish to access to the Internet, because this didn’t come up automatically.

Looks like a long learning curve for this one. However, if you would like to try something completely different, it might be worth your while to check out Ubuntu, which can be installed alongside your current platform; be it MS or Mac; or it can be installed as your only platform, eliminating the Windows or MAC System.

I’ll certainly be taking a closer look at this over the coming weeks.

Sunday 24th November

 With all the problems with our ‘Three’ WiFi and the weak signal from the marina one, we decided to fork out £32 for a WiFi Aerial, which arrived yesterday. So, having fitted the aerial to our top box and, having dug out the Toshiba, I plugged in the aerial but, as soon as I tried to access the Internet, I was asked for a User Name and Password, neither of which I had at my disposal.

In high dudgeon then I traipsed across to the marina office, where Noel filled out a form for me to sign, upon which were the necessary details. And that’s when my problems really started.

 Knowing I would still be unhappy at having had to chase around for UN and P, Wifey had a cup of tea ready for me. So understanding is that woman. Anyway, once again I connected to the marina WiFi, but this time when I tried accessing the Internet, no nag screen came up and, after several attempts at jiggery pokery here and there, I finally gave up on the Toshiba. I have no idea what the problem can be, but I may try carrying out a Restore sometime.

 I then dragged out the VAIO, but not for the WiFi, no, this time I wanted to do a full back-up onto an external hard drive, of which I have two, a 160Gb and a 320Gb Verbatim. For some reason, which still remains a mystery to me, neither laptop will accept the smaller of the two as a back-up unit, so I always try the 320 first. But, wouldn’t you know it, the laptop couldn’t see it. Then, when I unplugged the HDD, a nag screen came up telling me the device needed formatting and ‘would you like to format now’?

 Of course, I clicked ‘yes’ and plugged it back in, but I then had another screen telling me the item could not be formatted, by which time I’m pulling my hair out. Anyway, after much faffing around with the Control Panel, I finally got the thing to format and, because it took so long, removed laptop and HDD to the bedroom to await results.

 Eventually, after a couple of hours; or so it seemed; formatting was completed and I then instituted full back-up. This was at about 2pm, but, by the time we wanted to sit down to dinner, only about 20% of the back-up was completed, so into the bedroom it went again.

 We usually retire at about 10pm, by which time only 60% of the back-up was completed and it wasn’t until I answered a call of nature at about 2am, that I discovered it was finished.

 The good news is that, after plugging in the new aerial to the VAIO and connecting to the local WiFi, up came that nag screen asking for UN and P, which I gladly supplied. I now have a much faster, although insecure Internet access.

 Naturally, whilst I was online, up came another screen, this time from Avast, telling me I had an insecure line and offering protection for an extra £5.95 per month. This would probably be worth it, but I must first ask Wifey before committing to a regular outlay. I can always cancel it when we leave here next April.

Other news? None whatsoever, because I spent all day faffing about with the laptop.

 Today is Sunday and, after all the frustration of yesterday I really do deserve my Sunday lunchtime drink.

 Now, like most pet owners, I’m a big softy. I just can’t help it. So, when I contacted a very kind-hearted family member about Rusty’s sad demise, she mentioned something called The Rainbow Bridge. Of course, I thanked her for her kind thoughts, thinking no more about the subject.

 Realising that I obviously hadn’t even heard of The Rainbow Bridge, this kind person – whose name will remain between us, just in case she would rather not see her name in print – then offered to tell me about it. The following what she sent:

 THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

 There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colours. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

 When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and the frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

 There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them so on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

 You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him, or her, in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

 Now, isn’t that just so slushy and warm? I love it.

 Monday 25th November

 We have to take the bus into Rugby today. Why? Because, after just eight days of use, the new electric kettle we bought from Argos has packed up. What makes this so annoying is that we searched high and low, amongst all kinds of shops and stores, for a 1 litre kettle, which took us several weeks, only to find one in Argos and that one’s no good.

 I made a start on my pastel of Rusty and, so far so good. This time though, instead of starting at the top and working down, I started at the point where I made my big mistake, her eye. After spending half an hour filling in the water and reflections last time, I made a right mess of her eye and had to tear the paper up. This time it’s looking pretty good and I can always turn the paper upside down to work on the water.

 This Crick WiFi Hotspot is working quite well through the new aerial. It’s a funny operation though, when it comes to connecting. When I plug the aerial in I have to wait a while until the signal is recognised by the laptop. I then have to click ‘connect’ on the appropriate icon. However, in order to make a proper connection, I then have to go onto the web and sign in. If I don’t do that first then I am unable to download my emails through Outlook. Still, it works and that’s the point of shelling out £32 for the aerial. My ‘Three’ WiFi unit is now back in its box until we leave here in April.

 Tuesday 26th November

 Sister Carole is studying Archaeology and has asked me to find some books for her. This is OK, I’m happy to help. I use a site called Addall, which has access to most of the other online book sellers, so it’s usually easy tracking down out of print books.

 This morning, nice and early, I accessed the site and easily found the first of three books that Carole wants. After that, slooooow, with the screen sitting there, all blank and with the cursor circling like a demented gnat. Will try again later.

 Meanwhile, Wifey has a fasting blood test this morning at 8.30, so she’s going to be ravenous when she gets home.

Later……

 After much faffing about at Addall and, after overcoming my dear sister’s incorrect info, I finally managed to order her books, all from Amazon although, after that Panorama programme, I must admit to hesitating about that.

   “Two women called at my door and asked what bread I ate. When I said white they gave me a lecture on the benefits of brown bread for 30 minutes.   I think they were those Hovis Witnesses.”

Wednesday 27th November

 Well, I once again set up the Toshiba and attempted to get online via local WiFi, but still with no luck. The procedure for doing so goes like this:

 1/ Plug in the aerial lead and click on the little triangular icon in the System Tray
2/ Click ‘Connect’ on the marina WiFi icon
3/ Click on Internet Access
4/ Fill in the User Name and Password.

 Simple? No!

 At stage 3/ of the proceedings a blank Internet screen comes up and my cursor, once again, sits there whirring away like a demented gnat. Then after what must be at least a minute, up comes the sign-in screen.

 So, not too happy with this state of affairs, I carried out a Restore on the Toshiba, but still had the same problem. I have now given up on the Toshiba for now.

 Back to the VAIO and, because I had already signed in on that one, I had no problems getting online. Ah well, you can’t have everything.

 Thursday 28th November

 You may remember me mentioning a 1 litre kettle that we bought from Argos recently? Well, a few days ago we returned that kettle for a replacement, because it simply stopped working.

 Today we’ll be returning the replacement for another kettle, but this time for a different make and model, because the replacement sprung a leak. Not just any old leak though, oh no, this was around the base and ran onto the base that’s connects the kettle to power. You can imagine the result had we not noticed the leak and switched it on. At the very least the fuse would have blown but, since this is 13 amp, the charge could well have bypassed the fuse and blown our Inverter/Charger or tripped out the outside supply. Nasty!!

 Considering the fact that this particular model of kettle is unreliable and potentially dangerous, I have reported the matter to Argos Customer Services. As to whether they will take it up with the manufacturers, well, we can only hope.

 After returning said kettle this morning we’ll be heading for Watford gap Services, where I’m hoping to find a decent pair of boots.

 On that happy note I think I’d better post this blog.

 Happy days from Dave and Sheila.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment