Friday 22 November 2013

Shiralee: Crick Marina # 2


13th November to 23rd November

Wednesday 13th November.

N.B. Any jokes you see in this and future blogs, will probably come from my good friend Alan.

Well, winter has arrived and we have a frosty start to the day, part of which we’ll be spending in Daventry. Our MOT is due in February but, since I know we need two front tyres and will be travelling down to Harlow on several occasions before then, we’re going to get them changed sooner, rather than later. We also need a new radio aerial for the boat, which is something I should have bought whilst I was in Harlow on Saturday.

The steroids are doing wonders to Rusty, she’s far more alert and active now, so much so that even our nearest neighbour has passed comment. It can’t last of course, but at least her quality of life has improved.

“Since the snow came all the wife has done is look through the window.  If it gets any worse, I'll have to let her in.”

Friday 15th November

Our radio has been playing up of late, on occasion we find the volume goes down and the sound is somewhat scratchy. We have a wooden box on top of the cratch cover, mounted upon which is a holding tube for the TV aerial and a separate aerial for the radio. Unscrewing one side of the box and looking inside, I could see that the wire from the radio aerial had come off and so, not wanting to take the whole box apart to fix the problem, off we trotted to Daventry for a new aerial. We also stopped off at the tyre place and had the back two replaced.

That was on Wednesday morning, after the ice had cleared, of course.

Yesterday we didn’t do much of anything so, as you can plainly see, life in a marina is pretty humdrum.

However, it’s not so humdrum that we’re totally bored. I still have my paintings, guitar and ukulele and Wifey has her Sudoku books. Rusty has her regular hourly walks, on the hour most of the time. Last evening she was wandering around, obviously looking for somewhere to pee, but I nipped that idea in the bud, pretty sharpish I can tell you.

How very strange that she can still go all night!!

Sunday 17th November

Yesterday, as far as the Internet was concerned, was an out and out disaster. Crick Marina is a real dead spot where ‘Three’ is concerned but, since they do have the most transmitting towers, there would be no sense in changing.

Anyway, more in hope than expectation, I even tried taking the WiFi onto the roof and connecting it up to the laptop, even so the download speed was only running at a maximum of 150Kb/sec. I then tried using the old dongle, but found that to be even worse. Then later in the afternoon, with the WiFi still in its little pod, I stood it on the biscuit tin, on the ‘wrong’ side of the lounge and, lo and behold, I had a signal, and a strong one at that.

Now, when I say the ‘wrong’ side of the boat I mean that, when I hang the unit in the window on that side, I get no reception at all. But it seems that, by placing it lower down, it’s picking up the signal through the opposite window, which is where I would usually hang the darn thing. Me no understandee!

In addition to the strong signal, the email I tried sending yesterday; one that had a picture in it, which can be difficult sometimes; that went out too. So, leave it on the biscuit tin.

Last night, just about half an hour after retiring to bed, along came Rusty and spewed up on the carpet. Then after she had been out again, she then wandered down to our bedroom and started scratching on the carpet. It was then necessary for Wifey to take her back to bed, and it was left to yours truly to put the usual barrier up to prevent further night time wanderings. It’s now almost 6am and she’s sound asleep.

Would you believe it, I just tried sending an email and noticed that the signal had dropped then, after a couple of minutes it came back. What a bummer!!

Monday 18th November

We took our wee pooch to the Vet today and, since the pills seem to be doing her good, she’s on them for another month, with the proviso that, should she take a turn for the worse, we are to take her back. So far so good and a month’s supply of pills is only £2.38p. Gotta be the cheapest Vets around.

Tuesday 19th November

That trip to the Vet totally exhausted our Rusty, so much so that she spent most of the day sleeping, then managed to down some food much later. As a consequence of which she needed to go out during the night. At times she’s really quite chipper and her ‘normal’ self, at others she all morose and quiet, which does worry us.

I took her out again first thing this morning, but she needed to be carried all the way, so she’s certainly not enjoying life right now.

Now, the Internet, which is something of a joke, here at Crick Marina. I’ve been at the laptop since about 6.15 this morning and, in that hour I’ve just managed to download 8 emails and shopped for some pastel pencils at Turner’s of Stockport. It doesn’t matter where I put the WiFi unit, everything is very slow and the signal keeps dropping out. Not good, not good at all!!

If I thought it would be safe to leave Rusty on her own today, I would accompany Wifey into Rugby and call into the Three shop, but I think she’ll be going on her own.

Wednesday 20th November

Yesterday was a very sad day for us, because we finally had to part with our beloved pet, Rusty. Her condition had become too serious for us to allow her to go on any longer. We’ll miss her dreadfully and will have many fond memories of her. The end of a very happy relationship, with a dog with an attitude problem, never letting us forget who was boss.

Thursday 21st November
 
Naturally, at the passing on of our wee pooch, we decided we would like a pastel painting of her. So, having scrolled through the multitude of such photos, here’s the one I’m going to do. It could take some time, because I really will have to do her justice.

 

Friday 22nd November

You know how I’ve been having trouble accessing the Internet and downloading stuff? Well, as a result of having to call into the Marina Office to sort out a power failure, I asked Noel about the strength of their own WiFi signal, with a view to moving closer to it. The upshot of the conversation was, that their unit has a booster unit quite close to our small marina, so I should get a good, strong signal here, which I’m not.

Being something of a Technophobe where these things are concerned, Noel’s question as to whether I had a WiFi aerial on the boat, rather took me by surprise, since I wasn’t aware that I needed one, thinking, in my ignorance, that my WiFi would pick up on the marina signal.

Oh no it doesn’t! It’s the computer that picks that signal up and, without an aerial any signal I do receive will be very weak.

So, I have now ordered an aerial, which means that, for the duration of our stay here at Crick, I will not be needing the ‘Three’ WiFi unit at all and I should have no problems with emails or the Internet. Whoopee!

I made my first attempt at painting my photo of Rusty this morning and, after filling in the water and reflections, I made a start on her face. Oooops! I failed miserably, making a right mess of her eye and, if you can’t get the eye right, there’s little point in continuing. So, later today I’ll have to prepare another sheet of paper and start again tomorrow morning.

Saturday 23rd November

Our neighbour on our port side, is Martin and his wife on Coriolis and a very nice couple they are too. When we came back from shopping yesterday, they were in the process of taking their boat into dry dock for work on the waterline paint. It will only be there for a few days, which is a pity really because, as I discovered later when I hung the WiFi in the window, it’s their boat that’s blocking our signal. This also tells me that, if I want to use ‘Three’ for Internet access, I’ll have to find a longer lead and put it on the roof, nearer to the front of the boat. Can’t wait for that aerial!

Now, whilst I still have a strong signal, I’ll post this blog.

Have a great weekend.

Dave and Sheila

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment