Thursday 28 March 2013

Shiralee: Winter 2012/13 # 19


Saturday 23rd March

 Yesterday morning was full of indecision, do we stay or do we cut our holiday short and go? Taking a walk down to the car, I first had to remove snow from the steps at the end of the garden path, both of which were totally obliterated.

The lane outside the cottage has some pretty deep potholes, all of which were filled in and there was plenty of that horrid white stuff drifting against the walls and the car. The lane down to the road didn’t look unsurpassable, so we decided to load up and get going. We could see that the main road was being well used, so we had no qualms about that.

Packing and loading the car took about half an hour, so, after scrambling through the drifting snow on the lane, we arrived at the A623 and, much to our surprise, it was quite clear.

 About half a mile further on was the roundabout connecting to the A6 and, much to our further surprise, we managed to tuck ourselves in behind a snow plough. How’s that for a stroke of luck? We stayed behind him for a few miles but, once he turned off down a country lane, we found the rest of the trip pretty straightforward. Our journey to the cottage took us along the A515 but, having listened to the travel item on Radio 2 earlier, we knew there were problems along that route, so we stayed on the A6 to Derby then it was just a short run on the A38 and the Marina.

 It was still snowing when we got back and the forecast was for more to come. They weren’t wrong about that. I’ve just been out with Rusty and we’ve had at least another 3 inches overnight, and still it keeps coming. This time last year we had temperatures in the teens and up to 20 degrees! Amazing! My only fear – if you can call it a fear – is that this keeps up into next week. We have to leave the marina on Tuesday, not least because someone else already has this mooring reserved. Still, once we’re outside the marina we can always moor up at Willington. At least it does have a few pubs and a Co-op!!

 This weekend will be pretty relaxed, simply because we have no plans for going anywhere in this weather. Monday is earmarked for shopping in Burton, so we’re hoping for clear roads by then.,

 Sunday 24th March

 Oh boy! Have we had snow? Lots of it, many, many inches of it. Yesterday Chris and I cleared all the snow from the pontoon and this morning it’s back, with a vengeance. It snowed all day yesterday, and all night too, so much so that we’ll be calling into the office to see if we can extend our stay by another week.

 Monday 25th March

 We did manage to get to the Marina Office and book ourselves in for an extra week. With the weather being in our favour; and I’ve been told the temperature could well be in double figures for Easter weekend; we will be away on Tuesday 2nd April and I will spend my 71st birthday on the cut. And, with Branston being only a short run along the T&M, a birthday treat could be in order.

 This morning we have an appointment with our doctor, just to have our prescriptions drawn up. Afterwards, and if I’m feeling up to it, we’ll drive into Burton for shopping. But, since we’re here for another week anyway, it might just be a case of Morrison’s shopping instead.

 Tuesday 26th March

 It’s getting on for 7am and our wee pooch is still fast asleep. Contrary to what a neighbour told me yesterday, this cold snap is not going away any time soon. Still, at least it has stopped snowing.

 We didn’t bother going into Burton yesterday as I wasn’t feeling as well as normal, queasy tummy and all that. We’ll probably leave that little jaunt until later in the week. Instead we popped into Morrison’s.

 Doctor gave me some different medication, supposedly to help with the nerve pain in my feet. Not a lot of good last night, I fear. What with the queasy tummy and painful feet, I’m afraid I didn’t get much sleep. Neither did Wifey, what with my tossing and turning.

 Life goes on as normal here, and with this weather clinging on, there’s not a lot going on that’s different to normal, which accounts for my rambling this morning. Have pity on a boating man please, Cabin Fever has taken a grip, so I’m not in a normal frame of mind, hence the rambling.

 Wednesday 27th March

 We heard yesterday, on the BBC Travel News, that the road leading up to our holiday cottage was still closed. So, had we not cut short our break by a day, we would probably still be stranded there. Can you imagine how cold this boat would be when we finally got back? Brrrr! It doesn’t bear contemplating.

 Now, I heard the other day, during a news item on radio, or was it in the paper, that a certain transplant hospital – only the one so far – had been selling freely given organs to foreign rich folks. That is not on! I do not, as far as I know, have a Donor Card but, if I did, I would be seriously considering my position. OK, in America one has to pay for such things anyway and besides, there are more than enough people over here, simply desperate for organs. So there’s really no excuse for this disgusting behaviour. Will anybody in this government, or any other for that matter, do anything to stop it? I think not!

 I seem to be over my tummy upset now, thank goodness, and I even managed a walk around the marina yesterday, so I’m quite chuffed about that.

 Somewhat to my dismay a few days ago, I discovered that my Clarke’s boots were leaking. Crikey, I’ve only had them about 8 years, what’s going on here? I now have to go and buy a new pair. Shame on them!

 Thursday 28th March

 I didn’t manage to get those new boots yet as the company that used to trade from Findern Garden Centre, and from whom Sheila bought hers, no longer trade there. So, since we’re driving into Burton today, I’ll see what I can find there.

 Meanwhile, we’re still awaiting the replacement Remote Unit for the Battery Charger. Chris tells me that Andy has done his back in while he was lifting a sack of coal onto the boat, so I’ll give him a ring later to see if our Remote has arrived. If push comes to shove I suppose I could fit it myself as it’s only a case of plugging it in and running the cable through the bulkhead in the engine bay. But I dare say he’ll want to do it himself, but that’s assuming the unit has turned up. If not then when it does, Andy will be chasing us down the T&M to find us and fit it. He’s a good lad, is our Andy!!

 Well, since I have nothing better to do and already have five pages here, I guess I’ll post this penultimate blog for this Winter and, judging by the temperature outside, it is, most certainly Winter!

 Cheers all.

 Dave, Sheila and Rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment