Friday 15 March 2013

Shiralee: Winter 2012/13 # 16


Tuesday 12th March

 My final visit to Harlow this winter went very well, although the White Admiral was pretty quiet for a Saturday. However, after having dinner and watching TV until about 11 pm, off we trotted to bed, only for me to discover that I had no Insulin needles. With a Blood Glucose reading in excess of 15, this was not good.

 After putting my head round Alan’s bedroom door and telling him, I went downstairs to see Val. The only thing I could think to do was to go for a walk to use up some of the sugar, at which point Val suggested I use her treadmill. So, at 11.30 on a Saturday night, there was I trudging away and working up a sweat. But not for long, that treadmill was in serious need of lubrication, so, at Val’s instigation we took the dog for a walk. This brought my reading to well below 10 points, so I was finally able to go to bed. What an evening, and what a plonker!!

 Sunday’s drive home was a mixed bag of weather, from bright sunshine, through drizzle, heavy rain and snow, all in the space of 2½ hours and 140 miles.

 The rest of Sunday was very cold, as was Monday, when we had to drive in to Burton for shopping. As we were checking out and paying up, the check-out girl pointed to the outside world where we could see a pretty severe blizzard. So, rather than stay for a coffee, we decided to head home. Would you believe it, by the time we had parked our trolley the snow had stopped and the sun was out.

 Yesterday was again bitterly cold, especially in the wind. Walking around the marina was very uncomfortable for us, although Rusty seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. That dog is amazing, one day she’s hanging her head looking for some T.L.C., and the next she’s full of the joys of Spring, running around like a Spring lamb. She’s 15 years old for goodness sake, why can’t she grow old gracefully?

 As a result of yesterday’s bad weather, I have woken up to about an inch of snow on the ground. This cold spell is supposed to stay with us until later in the week. Hopefully it will have warmed up in time for our holiday week in the Peak District.

 Wednesday 13th March

 Yesterday was a pretty lazy day, until about 2 pm, at which point my next door neighbour and ukulele buff, Steve, joined me for a little jamming session. Just like me, he’s fairly new to the uke, so we spent most of the time going over strumming and finger-picking patterns. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the time and, as an added bonus, he’s promised to get hold of his sister’s old phone for me.

 This phone, as he demonstrated on his own one, is capable of using WiFi and, if it’s already locked in to 02, I’ll be able to use my SIM Card. She only wants £10 for it and it will be useful for watching tutorials on U-Tube, especially those for the uke, of which there seem to be millions.

 Today, if we don’t get covered in snow, we’ll be taking the bus into Derby, for doggie stuff and a few other bits and pieces. When we return and had a cup of tea, I have some uke stuff to print out for Steve.

 Thursday 14th March

Yesterday, according to those nice weather forecasters, was supposed to be pretty horrid weather wise, but although a wee bit chilly, we had a pretty fine day.

 Sadly Steve’s sister has given her phone to her son, so Steve has loaned me his old iPhone for a while. He’s also going to ask around for a cheapo one for me to use.

 In the afternoon, after he’d shown me how to use this gadget, he took me to a warehouse/cum sales office and bought himself a new Tenor ukulele. While we were there I conducted a search of their stock and, much to my surprise, found a Guitalele! You what, a guitalele? What the heck is one of those? Well, as the name suggests, it’s a hybrid guitar/ukulele. It has six strings, like a guitar, but a small body and short fretboard, like a uke, hence guitalele. I suspect this instrument is tuned to the fifth fret of a guitar, which would make it sound similar to a uke, but the chords would be guitar chords. Interesting! I suppose, as one of our ukulele club folks suggested last year, if I strap a capo across the fifth fret of my guitar, it would sound very much like this hybrid!!

 What I really want to get my hands on when we settle in for next winter is an eight string uke. But first I have to master the one I have, only then will I think about spending on a new one.

 Today we have nothing special to do. However, tomorrow we have to shop for stuff we’ll need for the cottage. I also want to have the car cleaned again; after that run down to Harlow last week, the darn thing is rotten again, and I can’t leave it with Chris in that state.

 Friday 15th March

 Yesterday was a chill-out day, during which we simply walked the dog and did lots of reading. If in doubt, and you really can’t think what to do with yourself, read.

 Andy should be along this afternoon to fit the remote unit to the Alternator to Battery Charger. Just as well really, because Shiralee goes into dry dock on Monday, which wouldn’t give him much time before we go cruising. Indeed, he would have to follow us down the cut with his box of tools, and I don’t suppose he’d be too pleased about that.

 I had a spot of bother with Steve’s iPhone yesterday and couldn’t access You Tube at all. But, unlike me with technology, this time it wasn’t finger trouble. Steve came around to check it out and he couldn’t do so either, the assumption being that You Tube was offline for some reason. I’ll try again sometime later today. But that will be after we’ve been shopping for next week’s goodies. We need to get all our foodstuffs in so that we don’t have to do too much shopping while we’re away, except milk and bread perhaps, and the Daily Mail of course.

Oooh! We’ll soon be away on the cut. This time of year is always exciting for us. Spending so much time in one place, especially as a boater, becomes rather boring and we get cabin fever after just a few months. The worst of it is over now, we’ll do some sight-seeing next week and we’ll get in plenty of walking. I’ll also get to test the new X2 Splitter on the camera, which should give me a pretty good idea as to its capabilities.

 Saturday 16th March

 Well, no sign of our remote unit yesterday, but we’ve been assured that it will be here this morning. Andy popped by later in the afternoon and, just as soon as it arrives, he’ll be along to fit it. Sadly he’ll want paying for his work, but not all of the best things in life come free!

 We are off for a week in the Peak District this afternoon and, surprise, surprise, it’s been peeing down with rain all night. However, with it being the ‘Peak’ district, perhaps the cottage will be on high ground. Wouldn’t it be fun if we were surrounded by flooded roads and fields for a week?

 And that’s that for this blog. I’ll start a new one tomorrow morning, just for the week in the cottage.

 Cheers, me dears.

 Dave, Sheila and Rusty

No comments:

Post a Comment