Friday 23 December 2016

Bosworth Marina Winter 2016/17 # 9

Bosworth Marina Winter 2016/17 # 9

Wednesday 14th December to Saturday 24th December

Wednesday 14th December

We planned on doing a bit of running around yesterday, which would have included posting Christmas cards, visiting Halford’s, topping up with petrol and washing the car. None of this was accomplished, because, for some strange reason, I just felt too tired to do so.

I know I didn’t enjoy a good night’s sleep and, after breakfast I felt the need for forty winks, but those 40 winks would, under normal circumstances, have set me up for the rest of the day. They didn’t and so, after driving up to the village and doing a bit of shopping, I decided it would be best if we put all that running around off until today.

Having had a reasonable night’s sleep last night, I think I can now manage all that running around.

Meanwhile, I have Alan’s 70th birthday bash to attend tomorrow. I’m hoping to call in on Les and Dave before meeting up with Alan and Co, but she has to be at the Vet’s by 11 am, so I might miss her.

Now, I would normally sleep in Darren’s bed when I visit, but Darren will also be there, so it’s the small bedroom for me. Who cares? A bed is a bed.

Thursday 14th December

Well, we finally got all that running around done. Newbold Verdun is the village that houses the Post Office, so that was our first trip. From there we called into Morrison’s and did a bit of shopping. Now, Wifey’s intentions are, on the whole, just to but a few bits and we usually use a basket. But, knowing how big her list gets, I took a trolley. Half an hour and two shopping bags full, and I was glad I did.

Next on the agenda was petrol and car wash, which didn’t take long and then it was off to Halford’s, where I picked up a small vacuum cleaner. I also picked up a screw-in and lockable filler-cap. However, since I wasn’t sure it would fit, I took it out to the car and made a new discovery about the SAAB. I discovered that, if the car is locked, then so is the flap that covers the filler-cap. That being the case, I decided I didn’t really need the lockable filler-cap. Money saved is, as the saying goes, money earned.

Friday 16th December

Today, Harlow. Tomorrow, home via my daughter in Bedford.

Sunday 18th December

Alan’s 70th birthday bash went very well on Friday and the food and drink flowed freely. Although, not so much drink for us drivers. I stayed over until Saturday morning and, on my way home, I diverted to my daughter’s place near Bedford. I even managed to get her laptop up and running again. Unfortunately, the programme I bought online, was no help at all. However, when we booted the laptop up and the password box emerged, it had a wee message below it, which read, ‘password hint – Now That’s’.

It took a while before Teresa herself came up with, ‘Amazing’, which actually worked. However, since I didn’t want her to forget it again, I persuaded her to do without a password altogether, and I removed it. She’s now a happy bunny.

At the age of 74, I’m finding this long distance driving a bit of a strain. But, with the SAAB, I have to say it’s certainly less stressful than the Alfa. Why do bigger cars reduce driving stress, I wonder?

Anyway, today is Sunday, Wifey’s sewing machine turned up yesterday and we’ll spend our usual hour in the local pub at lunchtime today.

Monday 19th December

Wifey has yet to properly unpack her new machine and we’re taking the bus into Hinckley today to see if we can find some material with which to practice. We’ll do some shopping at Sainsbury’s also.

Yesterday we walked into the village twice; that’s a total of about five miles. No wonder I’m knackered now, even after a reasonable night’s sleep. Today will be more relaxing.

Now, it’s brekky time, so time to close this laptop.

Tuesday 20th December
Yesterday was not quite as relaxing as I expected it to be. Well, actually, the first part was OK. That part where we sit and have breakfast and then, because we were taking the bus to Hinckley, a relaxing hour or so doing sweet Fanny Adams. After that it was, take the car into Market Bosworth and park in the local car park. Then, it was stand at the bus stop until the 10 minutes late arrival of the 159 to Hinckley.

The journey to Hinckley takes about half an hour, so we arrived there at about 10.40 am. From there it was a walk to the High Street and a visit to several of those shops. (Actually, we now know why so many people get off the bus early. They are then much nearer to the Britannia Centre, which leads to the High Street)

After the High Street, we then walked to Sainsbury’s and did some shopping there – a trolley and shopping bag full. After that and since we were too late for one bus and far too early for the next, we sat and had a coffee and Cinnamon Roll, before walking to the bus stop, where we sat and waited for the 10 minutes late arrival of the 11.30 bus back to Market Bosworth.

Finally, we rescued the car from the car park and drove home. Not exactly hectic, but a somewhat drawn out affair. I really must study a map of Hinckley and find a suitable car park there, which would shave at least an hour off future shopping trips. It’s either that, or we drive to Atherstone, where we can park at the Co-op and stroll around the town.

Today we’ll walk into the village and do much of nothing for the rest of the day.

Later……..

As usual for first thing in the morning, we walked into the village for the paper and other odds and sods. We also called into the Surgery and asked about the results of my blood test. This was done in order to check my blood’s ability to clot. (I’m taking pills that are supposed to ensure that I DON’T suffer an embolism.) The receptionist told me that all was normal, but no advice was forthcoming from the GP who ordered the test. So, rather than take it upon myself to stop taking the pills, I now have an appointment with the aforementioned GP. But that’s not until January.

Ah well we can’t have everything, now can we?

At about 12.30, seeing such a bright sky out there and negligible wind, we decided to take a walk around the local Water Park. Blooming marvellous it was and Alex enjoyed a good run around. We arrived back at about 2 pm, so it was a pretty good stretch of the legs.

Incidentally, and before I forget, whilst we were in Hinckley yesterday, we called into Ryman’s for a new mouse – my old one now belongs to Teresa and I hate to be without a spare. I also wanted a bigger USB stick. Anyway, we walked over to the racks and attempted to remove a mouse, just to see what kind it was. Would you believe, the darned thing had been locked on to the rack? So, there was no way it could be removed for inspection. It was the same with the USB sticks.

So, since it’s obvious they don’t trust anybody anymore, I walked straight out, never to return. Instead, we took a further walk into the Britannia Centre and walked around Wilkinson’s and found what I wanted there. Not only that, they weren’t locked up and they were cheaper.

Sorry Ryman’s, you’ve done yourself no favours there. I know it’s Christmas but, if Wilkinson’s trust the British public, so can you. Nuff said!!!

Thursday 22nd December

Yesterday went without an hitch or a hiccup, as you would expect from a couple of well organised boaters with 10 years-experience.

We took our usual walk into the village where, after Wifey did the small amount of shopping, I took a look in the Newsagent’s for a Christmas Card for herself. Sadly, none was available, so I tried the Co-op, but all they had were ones for a Special Person, so I settled for one of those. We really didn’t want to drag the car out and go over to Newbold Verdun for just one item.

Today we’ll walk into the village again and, I have no doubt, we’ll walk back again. After that, well, coffee and biscuits seems like a good idea, followed by a relaxing day.

Now, it may seem that our lives consist of a round of easy-peasy days. In the main this is indeed the case, except that I now spend an awful lot of time on the mobile with my daughter, who has got herself in a bit of a pickle. Suffice it to say and without going into too much details, she needs a lot of pacifying. Not that I’m complaining, you understand. It’s just that I’m not used to all this chatter over the phone, which can be somewhat exhausting, to say the least.

Friday 23rd December

Today is the day we collect our Christmas turkey from the local butcher. Most folks will do so on Saturday morning but, since we have no wish to queue up outside, we’re getting ours today. There’ll be plenty of meat on it as it’s weighing in at 9lb. Sheila originally ordered a crown but, when she was told it would be the same price as one with legs on, she decide to get the lot.

Other than that little chore; which will involve driving into the village; we have nothing special planned for today.

Saturday 24th December (Christmas Eve)

Almost there! Less than 24 hours and Christmas Day will be upon us.

We collected our turkey yesterday morning and, as usual, Wifey managed to squeeze it into our fridge. How she does it, I don’t know. But she seems to manage it every year and, this year, we don’t just have a crown. This is the real thing, all 9lb of it, wings and legs and all. By my reckoning this will take about 3 hours and 20 minutes to cook.

Our Alex entertains us in many ways, but yesterday was quite different, even for him. Early on in the evening, while we were watching TV and he was lying at Sheila’s feet, he suddenly jumped and started spinning in a circle. When we looked we saw he was chasing a wasp. A wasp? At this time of year? Well, I know it’s been mild, but surely they can’t survive in these conditions? It’s been far too cold and windy, surely?

The answer came to us later in the evening. We bought coal and logs yesterday morning and, we assume, the poor wasp was resting in amongst the logs and must have woken up and crawled out of the log-box under Sheila’s chair. It gave Alex a fright but that didn’t deter him from trying to catch it. He missed, of course, but Sheila soon caught it, with a towel wrapped around her hand. It was disposed of through the hatch, as she normally does when we’re out cruising. This applies to bees and other insects, daddy-longlegs being one of the main intruders.

Later on we were watching BBC 2 and a programme about the creatures that lurk among things in our gardens and sheds. Not to mention our rooftops and gables. Anyway, Alex was lying across Sheila’s lap, as he does most evenings and, there on the screen was a squirrel. This animal was jumping up at a bird feeder and, afterwards, when a female came into view, it was chasing her across the rooftops. Alex meanwhile was going potty. His head was going back and forth and, eventually, the growl started in the depths of his chest. Finally, he started barking and we were in fits of laughter.

This all reminded me of Rusty, our previous Jack Russell. When driving in the car with her, she would sit between Sheila’s feet, quite quietly for the most part. However, when it rained, that was a whole new ball game. Because, once those wipers started, she would bark like fury and try to get at them.

I tell you, dogs are a fun addition to any boater’s life. They really are.

And, on that cheerful note, I’ll wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Also, to all friends and family who sent us Christmas, many thanks, they are much appreciated.

All abreast from Dave, Sheila and Alex.





No comments:

Post a Comment