Friday 25 November 2016

Bosworth Marina Winter 2016/17 #6


Thursday 17th November to Saturday 26th November

Friday 18th November (Black Friday)

We have been putting off our trip into Leicester and, after much deliberation, we settled upon today. But, as you can see from the above heading, it’s Black Friday, which means hundreds of idiots on a spending frenzy. Thanks to Amazon and the like, we’ll leave it for another day.

Yesterday morning I received an email, from my new car insurers, asking for details about my No Claims Bonus and a photocopy of my Driving Licence along with the Counter Part. (That’s the slip of paper that comes with it)

Now, I’ve held a UK Full Licence since the age of 21; yes, I was a bit late; and I’ve never been asked for these details. Anyway, I phoned LV; because you can’t always trust emails and their source; and spoke to a nice man, who assured me this was the case.

I then phone Bradford and Bingley; with whom I had my Alfa insured; and the nice man there assured me that, not only had that information already been forwarded to me, but that he would also email me those details. So, far, no email from B&B. Now, there’s a surprise!!

From LV, it seems that, if I do not comply with this request within 10 days, not only will my insurance be cancelled, but I would incur a cancellation fee of £40. Hmmmm! Who’s doing the cancelling here and why should I pay for them to do so? Still, so long as the NCB comes through from B&B, I’ll be a happy bunny, because LV have saved me £300 on my insurance, which is about what B&B saved me six years ago.

It’s a funny old world, isn’t it?

Our planned trip into Leicester had one particular aim in mind; aside from a bit of shopping; and that was to call into the 02 shop, to see if they could sort my new mobile out. I am still unable to send and receive emails through this phone, despite following my server’s instructions on how to do so. Goodness knows, I’ve set up Outlook on so many laptops now, that I can probably do it blindfold. But, whatever mobile I have, I have never been able to do so with them.

What I might try to do later today; since we’re not going to Leicester anyway; is go online to 02 and see if I can open a Live Chat with a shop Guru in Hinckley, which is where I upgraded to my latest phone. Perhaps he/she can help me sort it out.

This wouldn’t be an issue, were it not for the fact that, at about 15 minute intervals, my phone peeps at me, telling me I am unable to receive emails. I already know that but, do you think I can turn the wretched thing off? No chance! So, I’ve got to live with that pesky peep until somebody can sort it out. That somebody not being me, of course.

Dunno what we’ll do today, but we’ll think of something.

Saturday 19th November

Well, I didn’t bother with the 02 online chat. Since we are going into Leicester on Monday, I’ll see what the people in the shop there have to say.

When we went to Halford’s a few days ago, for something with which to improve the state of the side skirts, the nice man there; and I had to agree; said that it should be the same as the rest of the external trim, which is black. So, I bought a bottle of stuff as suggested by aforementioned ‘nice man’. However, having checked photos of SAABs online, it seems these skirts should be the same colour as the bodywork, which is Titan Grey.

Have you seen the price of car touch-up paints these days? I think I’ll try to clean those skirts up, before I go out and buy paint.

Now, on to this blog. I have emailed everybody who, I think, should be automatically receiving my blog. So far just three have responded and told me they have not. So, I have checked up on my blog settings and, silly me, I think I put all those names in the wrong box. Hey! I’m getting on a bit, so I’m entitled to my silly mistakes.

Anyway, you should all be getting them now, you lucky people.

So, what are we going to do with ourselves this weekend. Well, one thing we really must do, is take our pooch over to the park for a run-around. He’s been to the nearby water park, but we haven’t tried him at the town park, which we’ll have to drive to.

Other than that, I have no idea what’s on the agenda. But, we’ll think of something.

Sunday 20th November

Yesterday, very cold and sunny. This morning, still cold, but raining and a gusty wind.

We didn’t bother with the park yesterday, mainly because I couldn’t be bothered. However, just for a change, Wifey bought a selection of vegetables, with which I made a thick vegetable soup for our lunch. In fact, there’s enough left over for a snack this evening.

We stopped having the traditional roast dinner on Sundays several years ago and, depending upon how the days fall – you may have noticed, there are seven in a week – we’ll either have a snack or a proper meal. So, since this Sunday falls on a snack day, we’ll finish off the soup.

We’ll also spend an hour in our local, although with a 2½ mile round walk, it’s hardly ‘local’ to us. Other than that, we won’t do much of anything.

As for the skirting on the SAAB, well, that will have to wait until I get the correct colour paint. I did try Halford’s online, but they only seem to do black. Whereas, the nice man in the store seemed to think they would have all the SAAB colours. It’s not a problem though, because first I need to see if it will clean up.

Monday 21st November

Didn’t fancy finishing off the soup yesterday, so Wifey popped into the Co-op on our way back from the pub and bought a chicken/cheese thingy, which came in a roasting tin. We had this with pasta. Quite nice, actually.

This morning; as I’ve mentioned in previous blogs; we’re planning on taking the bus into Leicester, but that depends upon the weather and, as it’s pretty nasty out there at present, if it doesn’t stop raining we ain’t going anywhere.

Wednesday 23rd November

Well, after all the rain we’ve had over the past couple of days, it looks like we’ll get to Leicester today. The weather is still fairly mild and dry at the moment and so, provided we can circumnavigate that darn great puddle at the main gate, we’ll be OK. By the way, there are two entrances to this site, one of which takes us to the towpath and one which we take when walking into the village. The one we need, when catching the bus, is the access from the lane, which joins up with Carlton Road. That lane will, eventually, take you to Shackerstone.

Our main reason for visiting Leicester, is so that we can call into the 02 shop and sort out the email on my new mobile. As I've said before!!

Thursday 24th November

Having given some consideration regarding a bus ride to Leicester, we decided to go to Hinckley instead. The bus ride to Leicester takes about 50 minutes and there’s only one bus per hour. So, adding up the trip time and time spent in town, we would have been gone for about four hours, which we considered to be a bit unfair on Alex. Hinckley, by contrast, is only half an hour away and, by taking the car into Market Bosworth, we could save some time.

So, Hinckley it was. Our first visit was to the 02 shop but, upon our arrival and after speaking to the nice young lady there, we were told that their expert was off that day. Great! Now we had to consider going online for a ‘chat’ with a shop guru. I can’t say I was happy with that idea because, unless the guru was actually handling the phone, I could see no way for him to set up my email account.

Anyway, as luck would have it, the manager of the store; quite a young fellow; was called into  the shop and, after some fiddling around and, what he called a ‘lightbulb moment’, he did something that I was unable to do. He managed to enter my User Name into the correct box. I think that when I tried to  so, I was unable to simply because I had already inserted the incorrect User Name. As a result, the manager of 02 only had to delete my information and start again. Then, once my User Name and Password were correctly inserted, in came a flood of emails. Job Done!!!

In the event, after doing some shopping, we were home before lunchtime, so our wee pooch wasn’t busting for a pee when we walked in the door. What a lucky pooch he is, to have such caring owners!!

Today, apart from an afternoon appointment with the practice nurse, I have some stuff to list on eBay. We’re having a bit of a clear-out – again – and I’ll be listing some pewter cars. These are model Jaguars that, unfortunately, I was unable to complete a set of. We were running our shop in Kent at the time and, when our customers deserted us for a new Safeway store and our income plummeted, I was unable to continue collecting them. Anyway, I have seven out of the 12 and will be listing them on a 10 day listing, so that they finish on a Sunday.

I also have a full set of 12 WWII Aircraft; a couple of which have not survived completely intact; that I will also be listing sometime in the future. Unfortunately, where the Jaguars were kept in their original plastic covers and inside their delivery boxes, the aircraft were all in one box, covered with paper stripping, so they are a wee bit tarnished and are in need of a light clean. This should only involve warm, soapy water and a very soft brush or cloth.

I also have a couple of cameras to dispose of. One is my Olympus E500, along with a bunch of accessories, and a Yashica Half-Frame. But they too are for a later listing.

So, I have a pretty busy day ahead of me, but that’s after we’ve taken a walk up to the village for the paper and other odds and sods that we missed yesterday.

Friday 25th November

Well, I managed to list all seven pewter cars yesterday, but not without a few mistakes along the way, that had me revising several of the listings. This was because, quite inadvertently, I uploaded the wrong photos. Annoying, but easily rectified.

Today, after taking a trip into MB for Wifey’s doctor’s appointment, and after coffee and biscuits, I’ll see if I can list the cameras. Other than those couple of things, today will be restful, I hope!!

Later…..

Can’t be bothered listing the cameras. Probably Sunday.

Shopping done, Sheila’s doctor’s appointment also done. Couldn’t decide if the skirting on the SAAB should be black or body coloured. So, after a look online at similar cars, it seems that the darker colours, i.e., reds, blues and greys, all have black skirting. So, I don’t need to buy paint, because I already have the stuff for the trim.

Saturday 26th November

Another cold start to the weekend but, until we get our Webasto pump sorted out, there’s no way I can put the heating on first thing in the morning. I took a look down there in the engine bay, but it’s the pump itself that’s making so much noise. I had hoped that, by muffling the pipes that go from the pump to the Webasto unit, it would stop that infernal ticking, but to no avail. I’ll just have to ask our engineer to take a look. He’ll probably have to replace the pump though, which is a shame, because it was only replaced last year. Or, was it early this year, before we left to cruise around the system? I’ll have to ask Sheila to look back on her records.

Meanwhile, since I’ve now typed six pages and it is the weekend, I guess I’d better post this latest scribe.

Enjoy your weekend.


Dave, Sheila and Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment