Friday 28 October 2016

Bosworth Marina Winter 2016/17 #2

Saturday 22nd October to Saturday 29th October

Monday 24th October.

A little over six months ago, we left Crick marina, for the last time, and set off for our summer cruise, which we enjoyed immensely.

As you all know, just a couple of weeks into this month, we arrived here at Bosworth marina and settled in for the next six months.

On Saturday, I finally managed to get down to Harlow and visit with my brother, Alan. A great time was had by all and I came home yesterday, having enjoyed a few drinks with said brother, and toting a huge envelope, full of mail; some of which, by its very nature, goes directly to Alan. There were also some letters that were re-directed from Crick; such as hospital and doctors stuff.

So, after a most enjoyable day and a good serving of bacon and onion pudding on Saturday, Sheila and I started wading through our correspondence and I had to face up to the fact that I had been a naughty boy. In among those letters were three from Rugby Police Camera Enforcement. I had run a speed trap on 25th April. Woops!!

So, what to do. Do I simply email the unit, explaining the situation? Accept the £100 fine, assuming I can still do so after all this time? Go on a Speed Awareness Course, as suggested in the letter? Or a What’s Driving You? course, both of which cost £80. The £100 fine also includes three points on my license, whereas the other two don’t. Ignoring these letters is not an option.

I think, in the first instance, I should give them a call this morning and see what they suggest. More on this later!!!!!

Today is a chill-out day and all we’ll do; unless Wifey wants to do a big shop at Morrison’s; is walk up to the town and do a small shop instead.

Tuesday 25th October

I emailed the Rugby Police yesterday, explaining why I hadn’t replied to the original notice and reminders and, in reply, was told that the case had been submitted to the Magistrates Court, who will contact me in due course. We’ll see what happens next.

Today, my neighbour; who owns a garage; is taking the Alfa in to see what can be done to the gearstick, which is not at direct as it should be. If it can be fixed, at a reasonable cost, I might still trade up. However, if it means a new, or recon, gearbox, then I may keep it for another year.

Today, having carried out a Morrison’s shop yesterday, we’ll walk into the village for the paper, and stuff we may have forgotten yesterday. Actually, we didn’t forget anything, we just left the meat items for today, so that we can purchase them at the local butcher’s.

After that; since we’ve both bought new T-shirts, tops and jackets; we might have a go at sorting out some old stuff. What we find, that is good enough for a Charity shop, we’ll put by until we go into town. The rest will be rubbished.

Now, we watch the 6 o/clock news every evening and, having seen the item about the perils of Diabetes, I’m even more determined to get my condition under better control. This means cutting down even further on carbs and increasing the vegetables. My Blood Sugar readings are mostly in single figures, but fruit always causes a spike into double, so I’ll reduce that a little. Other than that, and, of course, increasing my exercise, I can’t see what else I can do.

Wednesday 26th October

Whilst I was in Harlow visiting my brother Alan, we discussed trading in my Alfa for something newer and chunkier. I have been considering a Jag or Merc. Being the pragmatic one of the family, Alan suggested ‘the devil you know….. etcetera.

Anyway, once home, I had a chat with our friendly, neighbourhood car mechanic; my next-door neighbour, Dale; and I asked him to see what could be done about my floppy gearstick!! So, he took the car away yesterday and, when he returned in the evening, he told me that a new gearstick was needed, which would cost, with labour charges, something over £200. After a very small amount of consideration I asked him to order the part and arrange to get the job done, asap.

I can now relax, because this puts a totally different slant on the purchase of another car. I do like driving the Alfa. However, that loose gearstick has been driving me frantic for quite some time now, which was why I was considering trading it in. Instead, I’m going to keep it for another year and think about a trade-in while we’re out cruising next summer.

Today, we have nothing special to do, so we’ll just walk up to the village for the paper and milk. Later on, we’ll probably take a walk over to the local Water Park. No doubt our wee pooch will enjoy a run around there.

Thursday 27th October

Prior to purchasing Shiralee, back in 2006, we paid a visit to a colleague of mine, who still lives on a boat. Bill and Babs still permanently moor at Keckys’s Farm, on the River Stort, which is where we also moored for the winter of 2006.07. Anyway, one of the things Bill pointed out, was the shortage of storage space and his advice was, “When you buy a new shirt, chuck out an old one.”

During the last couple of weeks of our 2016 summer cruise, we visited a few clothing stores and topped up our supply of tops and T/shirts, some of which are becoming somewhat tatty. The problem with such a venture, especially when living on a boat, is having to cram everything into such confined spaces, which prompted us to recall Bill’s advice of 10 years ago.

Yesterday afternoon we had a clear-out and boy, was it a clear-out? Now, although some of the stuff we put aside for disposal is still wearable, it’s not wearable by us, simply because we’ve both lost weight. For example, some of my t-shirts are XL, whereas I’m now down to L. Similarly, some of my trousers and jeans are rather baggy and don’t feel comfortable.

So, we spent a good hour, going through cupboards and separating the good stuff – for charity shops – and the not so good stuff – for disposal in a clothing bank, which just so happens to be in the local car park. Today, when we go into Market Bosworth for Wifey’s blood test – I had mine last week – we’ll dispose of a huge, plastic bag full of old stuff. Next week, when we take the bus into Hinckley, we’ll take the other two black sacks of wearable clothing to a charity shop.

We now have lots of space for more clothing. Talking of which, when we drove down to the farm shop cum clothing outlet, which lies on the road to Hinckley, I spied a rather good wax jacket. They didn’t have one in Large size, but the Medium sized one did fit. Unfortunately, the darn thing had one of those double zips up the front, which I find very difficult and frustrating to operate. They’re so darned fiddly!! So, that was out. Keep looking !!
Friday 28th October

Frustration rules today. I was replying to a message from my pal Alan and, in his message he gave the temperature in Germany as 2 degrees, only he added the symbol beside the 2. With me? Anyway, when I replied I couldn’t find the Symbols Menu, and I still can’t. Anybody out there, who has my email address and can tell me where this menu is, please respond to this desperate plea.

Off to Atherstone today, to dispose of some old clothes and do some shopping.

Saturday 29th October

Armed with two black sacks full of old clothes; and I mean FULL; we ventured forth to Atherstone. We parked in the Co-op car park, because that’s where we would be shopping afterwards. Trudging down the High Street, with the aforementioned sacks, we finally found a charity shop and dumped them with the nice lady.

On a table in front of the till, was a small box containing a pack of cards, a set of dice and a set of dominoes. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t resist buying it. All I have to do now, is get my wife to join me in a game of dominoes.

“Just out of interest,” I said to that nice lady, “you don’t happen to have a game of ‘Shut the Box’, do you?”

“No”, she said, “but, if you pop across the road, there’s another shop that does have one.”

So, after paying for my purchase, we popped across to the other charity shop and, lo and behold, for the princely sum of just £1.99, I bought a De Luxe Shut the Box, that has 15 numbers on the swivel bar. I now have to persuade my wife to give that a go too.

I remember the landlord of The Chequers, in Commonside Road, Harlow – Alan Birkbeck – playing this with friends. Much money changed hands on the odd occasion. The game can be quite addictive, but great fun.

And, on that note, I’ll wish you all well and post this blog.

Good health from Dave, Sheila and Alex.



No comments:

Post a Comment