Friday 13 May 2011

Shiralee Cruise 2011 #5

Wednesday 11th May (cont.)

Still on the subject of yesterday, we had even more fun later in the day, this time with the TV. Although this new set had given us no problems since we first picked it up at Swanley, just recently the signal strength had been getting weaker and weaker as we moved further towards wild and woolly Wales.

When we moored at Willymoor the signal kept breaking up, whilst at Grindley Brook we had nothing at all. So, after shopping and a well earned cup of coffee at Whitchurch we decided to have a go at setting it up again.

So, I set the aerial up, switched on, put the set to ‘Search’ and sat back and waited. Nothing! Not even on Analogue. This I thought, can only mean one thing, AERIAL!!!. Now, I know what you are thinking, ‘perhaps the old set was OK’, and you may be right. However, having borrowed Bob’s soldering iron, in an attempt to repair the tuner, I well and truly messed that operation up. At least, I think I did. But I’ll only know for sure if I remove it from under our bed and plug it in.

Anyway, with Wifey’s help, we took the aerial lead down, disconnected the two parts of the lead, got the AVO type meter out of the cupboard and checked for continuity. Not continuous in the section between the TV and the aerial lead.

Just to be sure I cut a length off both ends and checked again, still not continuous. The best thing here was to discard the recalcitrant lead and attach a new one, which is where we struck lucky because, inside the cupboard below the telly is the old amplifier, attached to which is a short length of co-ax cable, that still ran through the top and has been there since we ripped off the aerial that came with the boat.

After fitting that all up and tucking the cable into the its little tidies, Sheila took doggy out for a walk, leaving me to set the TV up which, I’m happy to say, solved the problem.

(Note to self. In future check the obvious and cheapest first, before lashing out more money).

Wednesday 1600

For the first time since leaving Mercia we haven’t been able to access the Internet. This is not surprising because we are unable to send or receive phone calls, except outside the boat. So far we can’t complain, but I do hope it doesn’t get progressively worse as we make our way along this canal.

Doggie has not been very well today. Aaaaahh! This is not an unusual occurrence in itself, but this is the second time in three days and we’re both becoming a little concerned. She’s been moping about for most of the day, very much like me when I have man-flu, you know, with that ‘I’m feeling sorry for myself and need some TLC’ kind of attitude? She’s been out walking more times than usual and has been eating lots of grass, which has caused her to throw up a bit. But she’s had absolutely nothing to eat at all today. Tomorrow we’re off to Ellesmere where we should be able to find a vet if necessary.

Thursday 12th May and, as expected, this neck of the woods has started with heavy cloud. In fact I do believe I heard rain during the night and, on top of that, we have about seven miles to go today, we’re heading for Ellesmere, where we’re hoping to pick up some coal at the boatyard.

Yesterday, as I’ve already mentioned, Rusty was feeling rather poorly. Ordinarily when she is like this, she’s over it by lunchtime and back to her usual, exuberant self. But this time, even by 1800, she was still moping about with her head hanging and her tail all floppy, whereas it would be erect and all waggy. She hadn’t eaten anything during the day; not even her usual snacks between meals; and that is really not like her at all.

So, we looked up the nearest vet in the First Mate Book and gave them a bell. Sadly, not only is the Internet non existent here, the mobile is pretty damn awful too. But we managed to get through and Sheila spoke to a Veterinary Nurse, who suggested we try to encourage Rusty to at least drink some water and, by warming up her usual food, see if she would go for that.

I have to say, our wee doggie is not easily persuaded. In order to get water into her we resorted to a squirty bottle, the sort walkers and such carry around with them. Whilst I held her mouth open, Sheila squirted, which worked a treat. Sheila then opened a pouch of food, warmed it up with hot water and stuck it under her nose. That obviously hit the spot, because she wolfed it down in short order and, after wandering around a bit, settled in her bed and slept until we retired for the night.

Finally, when Sheila prepared to take her out for her final walk of the day, she set up her normal barking row. We have no idea why she does this, after all she knows she’s going out. But she does it every time, much to my annoyance I have to say.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well and our pooch is all back to normal. Until the next time!!

From the top of Grindley Brook Locks there are no more to go through for about 19 miles, just a few lift bridges, so it shouldn’t take long for us to get to Ellesmere, which is where we’ll probably moor up until Saturday morning. Ellesmere now has a new Tesco, well who hasn’t? And, you’ll not be surprised to hear, that it has now started raining. Oh joy of yoys!

Saturday 14th May.

I’m not sure what we’re doing today and I have no way of letting you all know, because I would have to walk back to the bridge over the Ellesmere Arm of the canal just to get a signal on the mobile. So, we’ll wait until later and see what we decide.

The choices for today are either to stay here another day; and these are 72 hour moorings, rather than the usual 48; do a bit more shopping then continue up the Llangollen, or ditto but head for the Montgomery Branch and await the arrival of the lock keeper.

The navigable length of the Montgomery is only seven miles long, at the end of which is a very nice pub/restaurant. The locks are only operated between 12 noon and 2 pm and only a certain amount of boats are allowed through on any given day. This has something to do with reducing the amount of damage done to wildlife and the canal, or some such thing. If a boat arrives later than the appointed time of 2 pm, no amount of wheedling and cajoling will get them through and they will have to wait until the following day.

Yesterday we left our moorings at 07.30 and arrived at the marina near here about two hours later. Surprisingly for this time of year the visitor moorings outside the marina were full, but we did just manage to squeeze in before the bridge. We only needed coal here otherwise we would have carried on to our present moorings.

We were told by another boater that the Ellesmere Arm was also pretty full and expressed his surprise at the fact. Ordinarily you would expect a build up of boats around June and July, but for May to be busy is pretty much unheard of. However, once we’d bought the coal, Sheila took a walk to see if there were any space, by which time several boats had moved on and we moved in without problems.

As with the last time we were here, about two years ago, we managed to moor up opposite the cricket field and, whilst sitting here with our first cuppa, we watched the groundsman preparing the pitch so, hopefully, we’ll see some action, but that depends upon whether we stay or not.

Fortunately we have as much time as we need, even if the match is played on Sunday rather than today. Last time I do believe it was a school match so, if the weather is kind to them, it could be a good weekend.

For some reason mobile connection is impossible here on the boat but, as I have already mentioned, if I walk to the bridge I can send and receive calls. I therefore prepared my message yesterday before walking back and I said do not reply, because it had started raining.

I’m having a few problems with the Internet of late, and they are all to do with my pal Alan in Germany. For some odd and inexplicable reason, when he receives emails from me they appear to contain an additional file, but that file doesn’t have anything in it. Unless I am forwarding a joke from Sandra, which would go as is, I wouldn’t be attaching anything to my messages, so we are both at a loss as to what is going on here.

A few days ago Alan sent me a link to something that he was sure I would enjoy. Something to do with some Scandinavian squaddies carrying out some rifle drill that he considered to be quite exceptional. However, when I followed the link, all I got was an advert for BMW. Yesterday he re-sent the link and this time I was faced with some advert for a musician of some kind. Once again we have no idea what is going on, but he’s adamant that he’s sent the correct link.

There’s nowt as mysterious as the Internet!!

Yesterday, whilst reading an email from one of my contacts in the good old US of A, I was given a link to a Shareware programme called PhotoS. This programme is supposed to convert photographs to line drawings, which I though might be useful and, if it was of any use to me, I would invest the necessary $25. After careful consideration I have decided against such an outlay. This is because I already have a couple of far better programmes to do that job for me.

The Serif selection of programmes that Ian gave me I already know can work wonders in this respect. But I also have a another one called GMX, which I bought a couple of years ago, and this can do a pretty good job also. So I look upon this Shareware as an unnecessary addition to my list.

And that is that for today.

Now, yesterday I managed to get online without any problems and so, if the connection is as good this morning, I do believe I’ll post this latest blog.

Have a good weekend you lovely people.

Dave, Sheila and Rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment