Thursday 3 November 2016

Bosworth Marina Winter 2016/17 #3

Saturday 29th October to Friday 4th November

Saturday 29th October

We took a walk into the village this morning; about 8.30 or so; just for the Mail and milk really. Luckily for us the weather stayed dry, although it did look and feel as if it was about to rain. Later in the day the sun actually came out, which was something of a blessing. For this time of year, it’s very mild and, according to the forecast yesterday evening, this time in 2014 the temperature hit 22⁰ C. I suspect we’re at about 15 or so, but that’s not to be sneezed at.

Now, for the past couple of weeks, my daughter, Teresa, has been having problems with her mobile phone, house phone and Sky. She’s been back and forth to the EE shop in Bedford, trying to get them to sort out the problems with the mobile. This is a new phone and has given nothing but trouble since they foisted it off on her. Today, much to my surprise, she called to say that this problem has now been solved. So, we should be back to text messages soon.

Her house phone; which is connected to Sky; has also been a problem, in that the Voice Mail box has been filling up. That too she seems to have sorted out.

On top of the phone problems, she also had trouble with the TV, also on Sky. However, after calling sky; who, initially wanted to send her a new Sky Box; the problem was sorted out over the phone.

So, all three problems now seem to have been sorted. Praise be for that.

Tomorrow lunchtime we’ll take a run over to The Red Lion at Shackerstone, where we know we can take Alex. Although, if the weather is as mild as today, we should be able to sit in the pub garden. Won’t that be nice?

Sunday 30th October

Yesterday; apart from our walk into town; was something of a bore. Why? Well, as I was passing the office on my way to walking Alex, a fellow boater asked if I fancied joining him and others later in the evening, for a bit of a get together. When I asked what the occasion might be, he told me “It’s Halloween”.

Oh Boy!! Halloween!! Another round of trick or treat. I imagined a booze up par excellence and kids banging on boats. The whole nine yards, as our American cousins would say.

So, anyway, when I put it to Wifey, unsurprisingly she declined the offer. Not only could we expect a load of hooting and roaring, almost outside our boat, but kids banging on our boat demanding, “Trick or treat”.

Of course, none of this happened. We heard sounds of partying, but nothing untoward and certainly no kids banging on our boat. The most unsettling thing was the barking of the dog next door. It never ceases to amaze me, just how many people leave their dogs alone and expect them to enjoy that loneliness. Some, like our Alex, are Ok with that and can be left for several hours without complaint. But, some don’t enjoy being left alone and sound very distressed.

Ah well, such is life and all its praise, when you die you’ve had it.

Monday 31st October

Yesterday lunchtime we decided to spend an hour in the Old Red Lion in Market Bosworth; rather that drive over to Shackerstone. However, since we didn’t know if dogs were allowed, we left Alex on the boat. Aaaah! In the event, we discovered that dogs are allowed, which comes as no surprise, since most pubs in this part of the world are happy to allow them. There are differences, of course. Some allow them in only certain areas of the pub, usually away from people who are eating. So, next week we’ll take Alex with us and all will be back to normal.

One man, who was sitting in the same area as us, looked familiar and, when I asked if he was from Bosworth Marina, he agreed that he was. His name is Daz, which is short for Darren and he’s only lived on his boat for a couple of years. He’s self-employed and travels quite a bit in his work, so living on a boat makes sense to him, if only for the security aspect. Nice bloke. No doubt we’ll see him again around the marina and in the pub.

Today, we both have our preliminary appointments with the nurse, which is usually to discuss medication and, in my case at least, probably make appointments regarding my diabetes.

Tuesday 1st November

First thing yesterday, straight after breakfast, we took a walk into town for newspaper and milk. Normally our wee pooch is happy to take this walk. But we’ve noticed lately, that he’s not so keen on the return journey. He seems to hold back at the start of the walk, even though he’s had a good rest while we wait for Sheila to do the shopping. He’s only six or seven years old, and he seems to have plenty of energy left over to chase a ball about inside the boat. Strange!

Anyway, we’ve decided to take him into town on alternate days. Today we won’t bother because we’ll be taking the bus into Hinckley, partly for food shopping, but also because, since I’ve now paid for my 02 mobile, I’m probably due for an upgrade.

After paying a visit to the practice nurse yesterday, it looks like we’re back on the medical merry-go-round. My next appointment is with the nurse again, this time to check out my diabetes. No doubt other things will follow, such as the Chiropodist and a retinal scan of my eyes. Thank goodness we cruise for six months, else they would have me running around, like the proverbial indigo for the rest of the year too.

Wednesday 2nd November

We took the bus into Hinckley yesterday morning and we were not impressed. Even though there was a brand-new Sainsbury’s and other shops in a new precinct, the rest of the town centre looked tired and jaded. Several of the shops were empty and, well, the place didn’t look too bright. However, at least a start has been made, which is more than some towns we’ve visited around the canal system.

The one good thing that came out of our trip, was the signing up for a new iPhone for me – a Samsung Galaxy A3 6 -  and we also did a bit of shopping in Sainsbury’s. This new store is very good, with all the clothing and household goods available, but with Morrison’s just a short drive away, we’ll only be coming to Hinckley very rarely.

Today we’ll be chilling out, but first a walk into Market Bosworth.

Dale; our neighbourly mechanic; will be taking the car in on Friday and so, with a bit of luck, I’ll get to visit with Teresa on Saturday morning. Her phones are now working; although she doesn’t yet have her email on the go. Still, perhaps I’ll be able to rectify that on Saturday.

Thursday 3rd November

Winter is beginning to bite now, we’ve had frost for two mornings running, so I don’t expect to see any more heat wave weather.

As usual on most mornings, we walked up to the village yesterday. Wednesday is market day in Market Bosworth; although there are only a few stalls there, which is a shame. Still, the veg stall is useful and there’s a fresh fish van there also.

Now, although we have a fish and chip van come to the marina on Thursdays, we prefer our own fish and chips. Or, should I say, Wifey’s own fish and chips? Fish shops, and fish vans, don’t come close to making crispy chips, although their fish is usually pretty good. You see, she makes a rather good beer batter which, this time around, will be made with Newcastle Brown Ale. Of course, I get to finish the bottle off.

Sheila also makes very good chips and insists on Maris Piper spuds for these. No other spud seems to crisp up as well as those. She first par boils them and then deep fries them in veg or sunflower oil. The fish, once battered, is fried in our deep-frying pan and is transferred to the oven while the chips are finishing off. The local veggie shop, Rose and Radish, didn’t have Maris Piper, but the lady who served Sheila, persuaded her to buy a different type, which, she said, do make perfect chips and roast potatoes. The proof will be in tomorrow’s fish and chips.

I received something of a shock yesterday. I have been having problems opening the bonnet of the Alfa of late and decided to give the necessary linkage a WD40 spray. So, with Wifey on hand to lift the bonnet, once I had pulled the lever, I did just that. While we were there I also decided to check for the cause of a mysterious rattle, that I heard a couple of days ago. This I tracked down to a loose battery cover. No doubt Malcolm, at the garage in Crick, had to charge the battery before passing the car back to me and didn’t replace the cover securely.

My next thought was the oil and water levels and, to my horror, the oil was just below the minimum mark. This has never been allowed to happen since we bought the car. However, it soon dawned on me as to why this was so. I didn’t check the level when I collected it from Malcolm in Crick. But, even worse, I didn’t check it before I drove down to see Alan. So, I’ve probably done over 300 miles since it was last checked. Fortunately, I keep a 5-litre container in the back of the car. Unfortunately, this container was almost empty, so we’re going to have to drive down to our nearest garage for some more. I’m only surprised that I managed all those miles, without the oil warning light coming on. Phew!!! Still, with what I had left in my 5-litre container, Dale will get it safely to his garage tomorrow.

I discovered something of interest yesterday while I was chatting to Chris, the man who runs this site, with his wife Jane. It has been the practice of about 40 boaters; along with Chris and Jane; to walk up to the village on Boxing Day where, on that mooring, the local Hunt passes through the village. After watching this spectacle, some, if not all the boaters concerned, usually repair to The Red Lion Pub. Needless to say, Sheila and I will be walking with them.

(Whether you support or abhor fox hunting is not my concern here, so please do not comment on that subject.)

Friday 4th November

My new iPhone tells porky pies. Yesterday morning was very cold, in fact we had frost. But, when I turned on my new Galaxy S3 6, the temperature shown was 11⁰ C. Whereas, I’m pretty sure it was closer to 2 or 3⁰ C. That erroneous reading continued throughout most of the day and, it was only when I manually updated it that it came down a little. Indeed, it didn’t rise by much throughout the rest of the day. So much for modern technology.

Now, as you all know, since I’ve been bleating on about it lately, our Alfa goes in for repair and service today. Which means that, we still have that 2½ mile round trip up to the village and back again. It’s somewhat milder this morning and could rain, but we will have no choice because, if we want a newspaper today, that walk is essential.

The weekend is almost upon us; I’ve written five pages of ‘stuff’ and I’ve been trying to post my blog once a week. So, let’s get it done.

Enjoy your weekend folks.

Regards from, Dave Sheila and Alex.









No comments:

Post a Comment