Sunday 17 August 2014

Shiralee: Cruise 2014 # 19

Monday 11th August to Monday 18th August

 Tuesday 12th August.

 From Upper Poynton yesterday we made our way towards Marple, the end of the Macclesfield canal. About half way along this six mile stretch, the clouds started to build up but, as luck would have it the rain stayed away.

 As we arrived at bridge 3 Sheila jumped off and walked ahead to see if there were any spaces. Sadly there were none available but, as we were pulling in and deciding what to do, along came a boat from the Marple moorings, so we quickly moved along and took his empty space.

 However, this spot wasn’t really ideal, because it was pretty dark and dismal, what with being so far below the trees and houses. But we only had to stay a few hours in that spot, before we noticed a big gap in the ‘lighter’ moorings ahead, so we quickly moved along to that.

 Just as we were doing so, the people on the boat behind us came back from shopping and decided they would do the same. Unfortunately, what they didn’t realise and neither did we, was that one of the spaces was about to be filled by the boat that had, temporarily, moved across the canal to fill up with water, and he was just about to move back into his previous position. All they could then do was to fill up with water themselves and dispose of rubbish, then return to the moorings they had vacated.

 Wednesday 13th August

 There are times, especially when the weather is not kind to us, like yesterday, when the only thing to do to pass the time is to take the bus into town. So, at about 9.20 in the morning we strolled down the hill, past the locks and waited for the bus.

 The bus from Marple to Stockport; I misremember the number; is something of an anomaly in that, rather than keeping to the same route both ways, it does a round-robin and returns to the same bus stop, passing through different areas on the way back. Most peculiar and not something we’ve come across anywhere else.

Anyway, we spent an hour or so wandering around the shops, enjoyed a coffee and sticky bun, then made our way back home. Sadly the weather didn’t relent, so we still didn’t get the timber cut up. Today looks to be no better but, since our 48 hours is up, we’ll have to turn around and return whence we came and find somewhere in the sticks. Hopefully, by the time we’ve achieved that the day will have brightened up enough for us to get to work.

 Thursday 14th August

 Despite a bad start to the day weather wise, we decided to leave Marple and find somewhere quiet and peaceful to moor up, in hopes that we would be able to cut up our decking.

 Wifey thought there were proper moorings just the other side of bridge 11 but, as sometimes happens in these cases, we should have stopped before that bridge. Of course we realised this when it was too late and finally ended up back at Higher Poynton.

 Now, since we needed to top up with diesel, we pulled in behind another boat that was having a pump-out and also topping up with diesel. Then, during the time it took for that job to finish, the heavens opened up and soaked us all. Not an auspicious start to our day. However, the rain did stop for us to top up and find a mooring spot but, since it continued to rain, on and off, for the rest of the day, we still haven’t cut the decking up. But, since these moorings don’t have a time limit on them, we’ll stay until the job is done.

 Saturday 16th August

 On Wednesday, despite the bad weather, we decided to try out my new Scorpion electric saw and cut up the decking, which was when I discovered that this really wasn’t the right tool for the job. Unfortunately; even though the makers of this wonderful instrument suggest allowing the blade to run before applying it to the wood; the darn thing simply bounces off said wood and starts cutting precisely where you don’t want it too.

 So, it was back to using a hand saw and, with the decking being 1 inch thick and, having a couple of dozen cuts to make, this turned into something of a sweaty chore and exactly why I bought the electric saw in the first place.

 So, having completed this chore, I texted Alan and asked if he would like it as a Christmas present. To which he replied that I should have bought a circular saw. To which I asked how and where I was supposed to mount such a tool, bearing in mind the limited space on the boat. He then asked how much it cost and suggested we sort it out when we get back to Crick and I pay him a visit. Should have gone for a new hand saw, eh Bruv?

 On Thursday afternoon, whilst sitting there with my nose in a book, I heard the tiller arm clatter; a sound that warns me that the boat behind has moved off rather too quickly. I thought this was rather strange because, when we pull in and moor up I always tie the thing down with a strap attached to a tiller pin.

 Anyway, I shouted after the receding boat, complaining that the tiller pin had sprung free due to their carelessness. You can imagine my dismay when, having turned around and stopped for a chat, that they had moved along at tick-over speed, so they couldn’t have caused the problem.

 Of course, feeling rather shamefaced, I apologised and, after a few more pieces of not-too-friendly dialogue, they went on their way. But this didn’t explain my missing pin. So, I looked inside our storage box, and there it was.

 The fact that I hadn’t even fitted the blessed thing ensured that my guilt made me feel even worse. Maybe I need to go on an anger management course!! And, the reason I hadn’t fitted the pin, was because it had been raining pretty heavily when we arrived here and I simply forgot. Thimple!!

 We decide to take the bus into Stockport yesterday morning. Unfortunately the bus had other ideas and dropped us off at Hazel Grove, which just so happens to be its final destination these days.

 Hazel Grove is rather noisy and, if we had really wanted to go to Stockport, another bus trip would have been necessary. However, since we didn’t need much by way of supplies, we walked to the Asda store.

 From there we crossed the road to a small coffee shop in which, despite a family gathering going on, we did manage to find seats and ordered a scone and coffee.

 The coffee soon turned up and, a few minutes later, so did the scone, along with a couple of pats of butter. Both of the scones were rock hard – literally. Indeed, I only just managed to cut mine in half. It was plain to us that there was no way we could eat them and so Wifey took them back to the young lad serving at the counter, whereupon he returned them to the kitchen.

 A couple of minutes later the owner of the shop came along with a big grin on her face, although we could see nothing amusing about the situation at that point. That is, until she explained that the lad had served us with their ‘demo’ scones. Ho, Ho, Hoo!! Rock hard indeed, take your pick!!

 Upon returning to the boat we decided to renew our almost empty gas bottle and, whilst we were at it, buy a couple of bags of coal. Not that it’s all that cold in the mornings, but we like to be prepared, especially now that we’re told, by those lovely forecasters, that the early mornings are set to become cooler, and there’s no fun to be has sitting here feeling chilly. Aaaaah!

 Sunday 17th August

 It’s almost 6.30 on Sunday morning and I am about to have a moan. So, if you don’t want to read this bit, please ignore.

 I have the Avast virus protection programme on this laptop. Not because I particularly asked for it to be installed when I bought, it’s just that the seller did so for me.

 Anyway, this laptop has, in recent weeks, taken longer than usual to boot up and, despite defragging and cleaning up the HDD, nothing has improved. So, when I received a message from Avast, telling me my computer was full of garbage – or Grime, as they called it – and that their Grime Fighter programme was at a reduced price, I bought it. At which point my problems started.

 Now, under normal circumstances, I would download a new programme and install it in one operation. However, since Grime Fighter is only licensed for a year and I was told that Installation instructions would follow immediately, I stayed my hand and waited, and waited, and waited, but no instructions arrived. So, I contacted them yesterday and, sure enough, those details arrived this morning. So far, so good, or so you would think.

 However, this set of instructions is about two pages long; much of which is unnecessary information. But, at instruction number five I was told that, ‘with these instructions I would have received my Licence details’. Well, I didn’t!! These details are necessary in order to run the programme and must be inserted after installation.

 O.K. My only recourse now was to access their Customer Service department. Well now, for the information of anybody reading this who has purchased a programme from Avast, beware, because, should you experience problems with your programme, they do NOT have a Customer Service Department. I know this because, when I clicked on their link to this office, I was sent straight to their web page and had to jump through several hoops before I could actually send a message.

 This system of giving PAYING customers the run around is pretty much the norm these days, and I for one am getting rather tired of it. One thing is for sure, I will most definitely not be renewing the licence for this programme, when it becomes due this time next year. In fact, if they don’t get their fingers out, I might even look for a different virus programme entirely.

 Right, back to normal.

 I am, as you know, in the throes of building two new flower boxes. We’ve bought all the necessary decking and, now that we’re moored near Homebase again, we’ll be paying them a visit for some extra material. Yesterday, having previously cut all that decking to the required lengths, I took a bit of time cleaning up all the rough edges. Today I will be marking out and drilling these pieces where the screws are to go. I will, of course, be enlisting the aid of herself who, after some cajoling, agreed to destroy the two previous boxes, which were looking rather the worse for wear.

 We’ll also be buying another length of decking, this time for use as a plank, which will replace the one we have now and which is also looking rather sorry for itself. Watch this space!

Monday 18th August

 Yesterday, due to very bad weather, we decided to stay put at bridge 46. Apart from strolling around to the out-of-town centre nearby, we simply chilled out for the day. We also discovered that, due to my inability to cut a straight line with a hand-saw, those pieces of decking do not match up properly. Oh, I could probably fit them together easily enough; they’re not completely useless; but they do at least need straightening up, either by filing down or, as Wifey suggested, waiting until we return to Crick, when I can take them down to Alan for corrective measures.

 Sadly, the sorry saga of the Avast Grime Fighter programme is still ongoing. Yesterday morning, having read through the set-up instructions, that finally arrived after me chasing them, I realised that I needed a Licence key, which should have come with those instructions, but didn’t.

 This morning, after checking my emails, there was the Licence Key. Oh, goody, goody, I thought, now perhaps I can set the programme up. Nope! When I double clicked on the downloaded programme, up came a screen telling me, “It’s not, you, it’s us”, followed by some more blurb about being unable to run the programme.

 Now, as you can imagine, I’m becoming really annoyed, not only because the programme won’t run, but because I haven’t been asked to insert the Licence Key and because the licence runs from the day of purchase, not the day of installation. Already I have lost three days of usage.

 So, back to jumping through hoops at the Avast, so-called Customer Service site, where I opened yet another ticket for assistance.

 I rather suspect that, when I first downloaded this programme it became corrupted, or didn’t down load fully. Hopefully somebody; an actual person; will email me suggesting I download it again. Hopefully!

 Today, now that the weather has calmed down. We’ll be able to go down those 12 Bosley Locks this morning.

 Meanwhile, now that I’ve treated you to a lengthy moan about Avast, I’ll post this blog.

 Have a good week folks and take care

 Dave and Sheila

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment