Thursday 17 July 2014

Shiralee: Cruise 2014 # 15


 

Saturday 12th May to Friday 18th July

 Saturday 12th July

 This morning has started out with bright sunshine but the canal is now giving up its heat and a mist is forming. Still, we’re in no rush to leave because it’s only three miles to Ellesmere and we want to ensure a mooring spot. Saturdays are turn-around days for the hire boat company at Ellesmere marina, so we don’t want to arrive while that’s going on. Quite a few of their boats passed us yesterday, so they will be quite busy taking in boats and renting them to a new bunch of pesky holiday makers.

 Sunday 13th July

 The water point at Ellesmere is not all that big; enough for three boats at a squeeze; but we managed to get in and dispose of our rubbish, and we then moored up outside the marina.

 Last year, when we came through Ellesmere tunnel, the water flow through it was so fierce, that the rear fender eye caught the brickwork and twisted it out of shape. Luckily we didn’t lose the fender or eye plate that it’s fitted to. This year, when that idiot collided with us at Whitehouse, the whole lot was ripped away, so we now need a new eye plate.

 We asked at the local chandlery if they had one, and we walked into town to see if the local DIY store had one, but no luck on either. So, Wifey then referred to her diary and her list of boat purchases and discovered that we bought the new eye plate at Braunston last August. Apparently, although the old one had been damaged, I was still able to use it until such time as we found another one.

 We will be passing several more chandleries before we get back to Crick, but until then we are without a fender on the starboard front of the boat.

 Last year; or perhaps the year before; we met a lone boater named Andy and his situation was a little strained regarding cash flow. Anyway, it was somewhat earlier in the year and the days were still chilly, so we gave him half a bag of coal, just to tide him over.

 Earlier on, before we had come this far up the Llangollen, we met up with him again and he told us he would be coming up himself in a few weeks. Yesterday he walked by us on his way back from town and stopped by for a chat. Since we last saw him he’s finished repainting his boat and has agreed to accompany us for a drink this lunchtime. Actually, from a female perspective, I suspect he’s quite an attractive man, so I have to wonder why he doesn’t have a partner. Perhaps he’s been bitten in the past and has no desire to be bitten again. Who knows? Nice chap though.

 We have some basic victuals to buy tomorrow, so we’ll be paying a visit to Shrewsbury and calling in at B&M for much needed tea, coffee and Coffee Mate. Hopefully the weather will be kind because, for quite some time now we’ve enjoyed lots of fine weather, but suffered some rain yesterday.

 Wifey has now finished staining our back shelf, so I’m hoping to have my seat refitted soon, which will allow me to sit down whilst cruising.

 Duck eggs for brekky this morning. Yummee!!

 Just as I thought it was brightening up out there, the rain has started again. Yeuck!!

 Monday 14th July

 The weather yesterday finally got its act together and turned bright and sunny.

 Lunchtime was spent in The Ellesmere Hotel with our new friend Andy and lasted over two hours. As I suspected, Andy has been bitten by the marriage bug and seems content to stay happily unmarried. Since he spends most of his time here on the Llangollen canal, I daresay we’ll bump into him again next year.

 Meanwhile, we’re staying here at Ellesmere until at least tomorrow, or even Wednesday morning. We’ll be taking the bus into Shrewsbury later this morning and then relax for the rest of the day which, according to the weather ‘experts’, is set to be a scorcher.

Now, as far as repainting the roof goes, we’ve decided to wait until we get to the Preese Branch of this canal, which is about seven miles away and, since we’re not leaving here until Wednesday morning and will be stopping at Bettisfield for one night, we won’t get there until Thursday.

 The Preese Branch is a quiet backwater of about a half mile in length, at the end of which is a small marina. So, since not too many boats pass by on a daily basis, we’ll be safe enough with one treading the gunwale on the towpath side, and one of us on the wet side, if you see what I mean. Hopefully the weather will still be favourable at the time.

 Tuesday 15th July

 We took the bus into Shrewsbury yesterday and, with teeth firmly gritted, I finally called into 02 and upgraded my mobile. I now have a brand new Nokia Lumia 630, which has all the bells and whistles and includes Internet access. All I have to do now is learn how to use it. But, since it is so new, there’s no handbook to refer to, which means going online to Nokia for any info I need.

 Wednesday 16th July

 We had a great day yesterday; apart from what follows; and spent a very pleasant couple of hours in the pub with Andy. Fortunately; or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint; we only see him when we come up the Llangollen, otherwise we’d be spending a fortune in the local. Not that he’s a drunk, you understand, more like easily persuaded to join us. Andy has just passed us and says he’s not sure where he’s going to end up today but, like us, he can please himself how long he cruises for and where he spends his nights. Dis is de Loife, to be sure!!

 This nice, new phone rapidly became a pain in the, you-know-what and, what made it so annoying was that I couldn’t put the SIM Card into my old phone, because it’s a wee bit smaller.

 Anyway, the first thing I asked the sales bloke at 02 was to add my PIN to the new one but, as Wifey reminded me later, this would mean having to enter that PIN every time I wanted to use the phone. Unbeknown to me, this new phone shuts down when not in use; something to do with saving battery power. So, what earthly use is a PIN; which is supposed to safeguard against theft; if it has to be entered every time you need to use it?

 Had it been an easy matter – for this slow and doddery 72 year old brain – to remove the PIN and take my chances, I would have done so immediately. Instead I threw a tantrum and (almost!) followed that with throwing the phone in the canal. Talk about frustrating. Eventually, after consulting the online info and combining my limited brain power with that of she-who-knows-better, we managed to rid my phone of the PIN. All is now well on that score.

 I specifically upgraded so that I can use the Internet and thus drag myself into the 21st century, so I also need to set that up. I’m told that this procedure is a piece of cake, but I have my doubts. It may be that certain POP/IMAP info will also be needed, in which case I will have to refer to those details that are stored in Outlook. Like I said, it should be a doddle; we’ll soon find out.

 Today we’ll be moving on to moorings just a short distance before Bettisfield and, with a bit of luck I’ll be able to complete the set-up of the phone and replace the grotty rope on our lifebelt. But first we have rubbish to dispose of and shopping to buy.

 Thursday 17th July

 A rather cloudy start to yesterday and it stayed that way for some time. But, by the time we arrived at bridge 50, where we stayed for the night, it had cleared somewhat and we finally fitted my sit-upon on the stern rail. So I can now cruise in comfort.

 Other than that nothing untoward blighted our day, except for my new-fangled mobile phone, that is.

 This new mobile has not been very friendly and, since the SIM card is a different size, I can’t transfer it to my old phone, so I’m stuck with it and must now learn all its wrinkles.

 Yesterday evening, whilst sitting with my nose in a book, I received a text from my old friend, Dave Earl, who lives in Lowestoft. That’s the easy part. I then typed in a reply and, when I had finished I expected to see something there telling me how to send. Normally a little tick box sits there and, simply by pressing that, away goes the message. Not this time, so I pressed a little button and up came another box for writing messages. Yeah, confusing ain’t it?

 Anyway, having tapped into this box, up came another message asking me if I wanted to delete this ‘thread’; whatever that means. So, hoping that this would remove the empty box, I agreed, which is when everything went pear shaped. Not only did that ‘thread’ disappear, but I lost Dave’s message as well.

 Now, I thought to myself, I’ll send him a separate text, except that the nice salesman at 02 hadn’t transferred his number over to my nice, new gadget. Luckily I do have his home phone number, but I’m now wondering how many other numbers are missing and I don’t have a separate list anywhere, except on the old phone.

 However, as luck would have it, Wifey also has a phone that is on PAYG with 02, so I’m hoping I will be able to access the data on my old phone by using her SIM because I may just have phone numbers on that one, other than the old SIM card. What a blooming palaver!!

 O.K. So, after all that fuss and bother, I just turned on my nice, new Nokia thingy and searched again, just to see if Dave’s number was there. Well, it was, and it wasn’t!! I ran through all the numbers and found one entitled Dave Mobile and clicked on that and, lo and behold, it belongs to Dave Earl. However, when I clicked on it I came to another box, which plainly stated Dave Earl’s Mobile. So, I tried editing it so as to read Dave earl, but I’m hanged if I was able to do so.

 I suppose I’ll get the hang of it eventually, but I would dearly love a handbook on the wretched thing.

 Friday 18th July

 It’s raining and has been for much of the night, so we won’t get any painting done today. Yesterday was far too hot to do anything, much less paint the roof. At this rate we’ll not get much painting done at all.

 When we left Bridge 50 yesterday morning, it was with the express intention of mooring up on the Preese branch and getting some painting done. It’s just as well that we didn’t bother because, as I’ve just mentioned, it was far too hot for painting. All we could really do was sit around and swelter. Luckily for us though, this spot at Platt Lane is fairly well sheltered by trees, so we didn’t suffer too much.

 One strange thing that set the day apart yesterday was the appearance of a bat. Yes, you read that right, a bat was flittering about during the day. It first came to our notice when we heard somebody on a passing boat say, “Oh look, there’s a bat!” But we assumed; quite wrongly as it turned out; that she had mistaken a Swallow for a bat. Not easily done, I know, but some folks wouldn’t recognise a Rhino from an Elephant, so it wouldn’t have surprised us.

 Anyway, a few minutes later we heard the same from someone on another passing boat and decided to take a look. Unfortunately, with the sun directly overhead, it was impossible to take a photo of the critter, so you’ll have to take my word for it, it was a bat, probably a Pipistrelle, since it was so small.

 Now, we’ve seen bats flying up and down the canal at night, but never have I seen one flying by day, except in the Maldive Island, where they have ginormous Fruit Bats that fly around during the day and, like most other sensible creatures, go beddy-byes at night. So, that’s one for you wildlife experts. Do bats fly during the day, or was this poor creature lost? Perhaps it had been disturbed by human activity and had taken fright.

 It’s still raining and it’s almost time for Wifey’s cuppa, so I’ll sign off and post this edition of life as a retiree living on the cut.

 Take care out there

 Dave

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment