Thursday 22 May 2014

Shiralee: Cruise 2014 # 7


 
Friday 16th May to Friday 23rd May

 Friday 16th May

 A terrific start to the day and looking like a very warm one. Yesterday was spent out in the open and so it became very warm inside the boat but, when we get to Fradley we should be somewhat cooler as there are trees both sides of the canal there.

 I recently learned that a certain friend of mine; no name, no pack drill; has been learning to play the keyboard. Now, I’ve been something of a grasshopper when it comes to music. I have two guitars; one classical and the other steel strung; and I also have Ukulele, both of which I tend to switch between. As a result I haven’t really learned to master either. Well, now I intend to put that right and unearth my classical guitar from under the bed, and follow some tuition from Mike Herberts.

 I have a couple of DVDs from Mike, one called Chordaoke and the other a classical piece. However, I also have some lessons that I downloaded some time ago, and it’s these that I have unearthed and which I will now devote some time to. Here’s hoping!!

 Saturday 17th May

 What a gorgeous day yesterday, all sunny and warm and, for the first time since leaving Crick, we were able to cruise without a coat on. Lovely!

However, later in the day it became a little too warm for my liking, so we wandered up to the shop and indulged in an ice cream. Not that it made a lot of difference, but it was most enjoyable all the same.

 Quite a few of the tiles behind the fire have come loose. In fact, some have even fallen off the wall and need re-attaching with the proper sticky stuff. So, since it was so warm yesterday, we decided to let the fire go out last night; much to the detriment of my wellbeing this morning. Blooming chilly, so it was. Still, my cardigan warmed me up, so I’m not complaining.

 We are hoping that this warm weather will stay with us until Tuesday, by which time we should be at Rugeley, where we can probably buy the sticky stuff at the local Wilkinson’s. We’ll give the chimney another clean first, then fix the tiles and black the grouting. After that, the weather can do as it pleases, ‘cos we’ll then be able to light the fire again if we so wish.

 Today we’ll be off to Handsacre and will stay there for the weekend but, since the pub we usually frequent when we’re there, doesn’t sell a decent lager; I’ve gone off the Guinness due to tummy trouble; we’ll try The Crown, which is right by the side of the canal and just a short walk away from the moorings.

 Sunday 18th May

 Last time we moored here at Handsacre, the nice man in the house opposite almost smoked us out with his bonfire. Of course I thanked him for his consideration. In fact, if memory serves me, we actually moved on and moored above the locks just before Fradley.

 This time however; after cruising for two hours, through three locks, enjoying a cuppa and then walking up to the shops and back; out came his petrol powered strimmer. The noise was horrendous, but this time we decided to grin and bear it. After all, if a man works all week and then decides to work his weekend too, who are we to complain?

 The gentleman concerned lives in a house that lies sideways on to the canal and, since he has two young children, he wisely erected a fence between the house and the canal, leaving a gap of about six feet or so. To give him credit, rather than leave the gap between house and canal to grow wild; which would deter idiot boaters from mooring there; he tries to keep it tidy, hence the burning of rubbish and the strimmer. He still has a few nasty roots to dig up, but I’m hoping he’ll leave his matches and strimmer inside today.

 Today we’ll give The Crown pub a try. We’ve used it in the past and, since it is beside the canal and the weather looks to set fair for today, we’ll sit in the garden, rather than walk up the hill to The Old Peculiar.

 Monday 19th May

 It’s been a great weekend weather wise and far too hot to be working on the boat. We enjoyed an hour in the pub garden yesterday and our main meal of the day was somewhat different to a normal Sunday.

On Saturday evening Sheila popped along to the nearby chippie and bought fish and chips, along with mushy peas for me. Now, down south, when you order fish and chips, you tend to get enough chips for one person. The further north you go, or so it seems, the more chips you get for your money. Unfortunately Wifey forgot this and ordered 2 pieces of fish and 2 portions of chips. The pieces of fish were OK; although, I didn’t think much of the batter; but the chips were enough to feed an army.

 Anyway, to get back to our Sunday meal. We had a huge plate of chips left over from Saturday and, rather than throw them away, we saved them in the fridge and re-fried them, along with a couple of eggs. Lovely!

 Incidentally, I didn’t think much of the mushy peas, which were a really dark green colour. To my mind, if you are going to make mushy peas, you should do so with Marrowfat Peas. Goodness knows where the chippie bought his, but they must add too much colouring. Dreadful things, they were.

 So, a somewhat cooler start to today and we’re off to Rugeley for shopping, then straight on for about another mile, where, if we’re lucky we’ll get some more paintwork done. We don’t moor up in Rugeley any more since they allowed a Macdonald’s to be built close to the canal.

 Tuesday 20th May

 Yesterday was another scorcher and we left Handsacre for Rugeley quite early. Shopping done and stuff with which to attach those loose tiles, then it was off to one of our favourite spots, the pig farm by bridge 69, where we stopped for the day.

 Thankfully, despite the forecaster’s threat of rain, it stayed dry for me and I managed some more painting; just the black, non-slip stuff; on the bits I’d rubbed down and treated with rust preventer and undercoat. I did intend to let that dry and add some grey undercoat before topping with green. But, as with the best laid plans, it rained later. Still, it’s a fine morning and, if we’re lucky we’ll reach Great Haywood without getting wet. Sadly, no TV, Internet or phone there, so we’re incommunicado for a couple of days.

 Wednesday 21st May

Yesterday morning we had rain, lots of it, but it had stopped by 8 am so we headed off to Fradley. We’ll be staying here for today and taking the bus into Stafford.

 Unfortunately, because it had been raining and the boat needs to dry out properly, I didn’t get any painting done. However, we did manage to clean all the tiles at the back of the fire, and Wifey stuck them all back on with the sticky stuff we bought at Rugeley. But, what with Fradley being somewhat sheltered from the sun for much of the day, and what with more cloud and rain later in the day, this metal tube became rather chilly yesterday evening.

 We couldn’t light the fire because, had we done so then Sheila would have had problems filling the tiles in with grouting. Also, we didn’t want to put the heater on, just in case we depleted the batteries and didn’t have enough power to run the heater this morning. Well, you can’t have everything, now can you? And besides, we wanted to watch Happy Valley last night, and that’s getting pretty exciting, I can tell you. Only two episodes to go!!

 Today promises to be fine and warm, so I’m hoping to get some more roof painting done when we get back from Stafford.

 Thursday 22nd May

 Yesterday didn’t go according to plan, oh no, we had one of those days. Off we trotted to the nearest bus stop, which stands outside the local pub; about 10 minutes away from our moorings. The bus was due to arrive at about 09.50 and, while we were waiting, a charming, little lady came along and said, “Are you waiting for the bus, only I don’t think it stops here anymore?” After we confirmed her suspicions, she then told us that she thought it now bypassed the village and stopped further up the road at the next bus stop, coming at it from a different route.

 So, we walked up to the next bus stop and, sure enough, there was a notice on the timetable, which stated that the route had been changed about a month before. Wouldn’t it have made sense to affix the same notice to the now defunct bus stop? After all, there are quite a few boaters passing through Great Haywood, who moor up and take the bus into Stafford, the same as we do.

 Anyway, we were far too late for the bus by now; which would now stop there at 34 minutes past the hour; so we decided instead to buy the paper at the nearby shop and get back to the boat. By the time we got back it was approaching 10.30 and a wee bit late for us to go cruising, but we decided that, since it promised to be a sunny and warm day, we would head off to Weeping Cross, about five miles and two locks away.

 I say that this is a wee bit late for us, because we like to arrive at our destination at about that time and usually find easy moorings. By arriving nearer to lunchtime we ran the risk of being unable to find a place. However, luck was on our side and we slipped into the only space available and settled in for the day.

 I’m now back to the guitar and following one of Mike’s fingerpicking lessons. It’s slow going right now as I don’t have the dexterity in my left hand, but I’ll get there. I’ve also dug out the Noad book on Spanish Guitar playing, simply because I’m familiar with the lessons there and know that I can play some of them through without problems. I’m hoping this will loosen up my left hand fingering.

 The problem I have with the Spanish Guitar is my tummy. I like to sit at our dinette when practising, but my stomach gets in the way. I either need to lose weight; not easy at my age, believe me; or I need a thinner guitar. I do have one, a steel string Eko from the 60s, but I prefer the wider fret board of the Spanish one. I once asked the salesman in the Harlow music shop, why steel strung guitars don’t come with wider fret boards, to which he remarked, “Because you’re the only person who’s ever asked for one”. Yeah, right!!

 Friday 23rd May

 Yesterday was a bit wet, to say the least but, as usual, by the time we set off to catch the bus into Stafford, it had stopped. Not only that, but it stayed dry throughout the morning and started up later in the afternoon, by which time we were back at the boat.

 The weather forecast for tomorrow is lots more rain; as if we haven’t had enough of it last night; and it’s still raining this morning. The forecast is for even worse weather tomorrow, so we’re going to gird our loins and head for Penkridge this morning. What fun that will be if this weather keeps up!

 Cheers for now and enjoy your Bank Holiday.

 Dave and Sheila.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment