Saturday 22 February 2014

Shiralee: Crick Marina # 8

Friday  7th  February to Sunday 23rd February

 Friday 7th February

On Wednesday morning we drove over to Coventry University Hospital for me to have some tests carried out. This was to discover why my legs and feet ache. After resting for 15 minutes the tests; which included pulse checks on both arms and feet and a 10 minute session on a treadmill; we had a chat with the nurse. I must now take more exercise; walking in particular; but without support stockings. Apparently the tests show that I have a narrowing of the arteries, especially on my left side and that, if I walk until I am in some pain and discomfort then walk some more with more pain and discomfort, then, eventually my leg will grow another artery in order to facilitate better blood flow to my foot.

How odd that is! I know sharks can grow more teeth and a lizard can grow another tail if you yank it off, but humans growing arteries? Hmmm, I have my doubts. Still, who am I to argue? She’s the nurse and supposed to be the expert.

 Now, I’m approaching my 72nd birthday and, as we all know, the older we get the longer our bodies take to heal. By my reckoning I’ll probably be in my 80s before my leg has grown another artery. Meanwhile nurse has recommended Statins and a blood thinning agent. She too must know that, the chances of me growing another artery, at least in this lifetime, are pretty remote. So, keep taking the pills!!

 Yesterday we took the bus into Rugby and found the Morrison’s Store which, from our experience with this company, must be the smallest they have. We were hoping to find some Hammond’s Chop Sauce, but that wasn’t to be. We’re running a bit low of that particular commodity and will probably have to wait until we leave here and pass through Rugeley.

 Today I must pay a visit to the surgery and book an appointment with the nurse and present her with the form with the new medication, so that she can enter them into my records for future use.

Meanwhile the rain has been sheeting down all night long, and it’s still doing so. So much for the walkies then!!

 Saturday 8th February

 This morning dawned bright and sunny and, because of that we decided to drive over to the chandlery at Braunston. We bought some more rope for the fire door, some lubricant for the cassette, another seven LED lights and some water purification tablets at a combined cost of £80. The seven lights were to replace some more Halogen bulbs, thus saving power for when we’re cruising.

 Sunday 9th February

 Yesterday was a gloriously sunny day, which is more than can be said for last night, when it sheeted down with rain and we were buffeted by strong winds.

 During all the rain we had earlier in the week, Shiralee rose about 4 inches in the water. By yesterday morning she had settled back down. After speaking with our neighbour John, who had been to Braunston earlier in the week, the locks there were overflowing, which would account for the fast drop in water levels here. Like I’ve said before, there’s a lot to recommend about living on a boat.

 It’s still windy and rainy this morning, but I dare say we’ll still make it to the club later. Meanwhile, I’m still plodding on with my recipes books and have just started on Book 3: The South East and London.

 Thursday 13th February

 Well, we’ve had some really disturbing weather over the past few days, with lots of rain and high winds. But I suppose we can count ourselves very lucky indeed, because we’ve only had to cope with a water level rise of about 3 inches here in the marina. Our hearts go out to those folks in Somerset and the Thames Valley.

 What saddens me though is the downright ignorance of the Environment Agency who, over the past 18 years has been following a policy of taking care of wildlife and ignoring people and property. Someone has been quoted as saying, “Oh, we can’t dredge the rivers now because voles live there and have to be protected.” Dummies, all of them and then they squeak on about how hard their troops have been working. But, had the EA done their job; as was laid down when the Somerset Levels were first cleared; they wouldn’t have had to work so hard. Perhaps now, after all the political posturing, the EA and others will ensure that dredging is carried out on a regular basis. But I hope the inhabitants of all those flooded areas are good at holding their breath because, as soon as the flood waters go down and everything is dry again, those responsible will simply take up where they left off.

 We took the bus into Rugby yesterday, just for something to do but, when it came to catching the returning bus, it didn’t show. So, we walked back to the shopping centre and bought a few other odds and sods, before finally catching the next bus home. By the time we got back to the marina however, the winds had picked up and the heavens opened up.

 Today, simply because we’re expecting a lull in the rain and wind, we’ll be doing our weekly shop at Sainsbury’s.

 Tomorrow is supposed to bring us more high winds and heavy rain.

 Saturday 15th February

 We took a right battering last night, so much so that I found it difficult to sleep, unlike Wifey who, as usual, slept like a baby.

 Today it’s been raining on and off for most of the day, although we did manage to get to the shops and also get a couple of bags of coal and a bag of logs, without getting wet.

 We heard from our friend Sandy from Mercia. She and her hubby Andy are living with her father temporarily. Andy is currently fitting out another boat and they will stay with Sandy’s dad until such time as she’s not needed any more. I’m hoping we can meet up soon for a meal, at which time I will try asking them if they’ll look after the Alfa while we’re away. This will do us both a favour because, not only will they take good care of the car, but Sandy will have her own transport, instead of having to borrow Andy’s van when she needs to go shopping.

 We’ve also heard that the permanent moorers at Mercia are now being stung for Council Tax, at about £1,000 per annum. They are not pleased and, I suspect, some of them will leave there as a result. It’s been on the cards for some time now and has now come to fruition. On top of that, the powers that be have deemed it necessary to limit non-permanent moorers to six months stay.

 Tuesday 18th February

 Yesterday morning we hemmed and hawed as to what to do with ourselves. Should be take the bus into Northampton or Rugby? Should we just take a walk up to the Co-op for the paper? It took a while, but we finally decided to be lazy and walked up for the paper. Lazy!

 Our car is insured with Bradford and Bingley and, since it’s now getting close to the day when it needs renewing, I thought I would get on to them and change our address, from Mercia to Crick Marina. Would you believe it, there are only two ways to do this; if you discount calling them on a premium rate phone number; and they are 1/ log in to their site and change it there – should be simple – or 2/ write to them.

 Doing so online is definitely not simple because, for some reason best known to themselves, their form does not accept the address unless it includes a house number. Pretty difficult in our case. I tried putting a number in, followed by the name of the boat, which is essential if we want to receive any mail, but that didn’t work either. So, I have now written to them but, as yet I haven’t received a reply, not even an email.

 What I’m getting at here is the fact that I am unable to even email them with my change of address, which I find pretty ludicrous.

Wednesday 19th February

 Today should see the arrival of my ukulele course, for which I paid an extra £20 Import Duty. Hopefully it will be worth the money I laid out. I am going to concentrate on this, to the exclusion of the guitar, which will be stored under the bed, albeit temporarily. No doubt I’ll dig it out again while we’re cruising.

 Saturday 22nd February

 As you may or may not know, when you reach the age of 70 you have to apply to renew your driver’s licence. I’ve already done so once when I was put onto Insulin for my diabetes, but it’s now due again. So, being the honest citizen that I am, I duly obtained a copy of the necessary forms from our local post office, filled them in and sent them off.

Now, when I do this I have to make sure I fill in Alan’s address, because that’s where the licence is registered. So, after three weeks of waiting, an envelope turned up at Alan’s house, which contained said forms, with the request that I supply a recent photograph. I now have to wait for it to arrive here and then add a photo.

 It’s just as well that the licence renewal isn’t due until April, otherwise I would be panicking.

 Sunday 23rd February

 I had something of a health scare in the early hours of this morning, my tongue swelled up. Now, I’ve had this before, but it was quite some time ago, probably a couple of years, so it came as something of a surprise. Alan recently had this problem too, so I’m wondering if it’s a genetic problem. Could we both be allergic to something, I wonder? It’s subsided now, but still a bit sore. I suppose I could have scratched my tongue during the night, say with a sharp tooth edge! Ah well, age may have its compensations, but it also has its downsides.

 Well, as usual, we’ll pop along to the club at lunchtime and sup a couple of beers. Meanwhile, let’s get this thing posted.

 Cheers folks and take care.

 Dave and Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment