Sunday 16 September 2012

Shiralee Cruise 2012 # 25

Wheelock to Barbridge


Wednesday 12th September

I hope you like the picture I’m trying to paint. When I’m finished; probably in a couple of weeks or so; I’ll post my own interpretation of that photo, in pastels. Of course, I don’t expect, nor do I want it to look anything like the photo. If all I wanted was that image then I would have no need to paint it.

Today, with the weather looking as if it might stay dry and calm, we’ll take the next four miles and four locks to Middlewich, where, we hope, we will be able to have the heating repaired. The only problem we are likely to come up against is being unable to moor the boat below Kings Lock, which is where the boatyard and chandlery are and where the heater is to be repaired. If they have no space we will have to revert to Plan B but, since we don’t yet have a Plan B, we’ll have to wing it.

Meanwhile, I’m sitting here, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for Wifey to surface, so that we can have brekky and get on our way.

Whilst I await Wifey’s appearance, have I told you about my problems with Internet Explorer? Well now, this might interest you and, with luck, somebody will know what to do.

I am in receipt of several Newsletters from different people. In one of those Newsletters I regularly get links to the writers blog but, when I click on the link, I receive an error message telling me that IE is unable to access the blog and the operation is being aborted. This also happens when I carry out a search for that person’s site and click the link.

Of course, I have emailed the person concerned, in fact on a couple of occasions and I did so again this morning, but I have yet to receive an acknowledgement or reply of any sort. Naturally, if, after this attempt at attracting their interest, I don’t receive a reply, I shall unsubscribe to their Newsletter. There’s no point continuing with them if they can’t be bothered to answer a simple question, even if they can’t explain why this is happening.

Any ideas anyone?

Thursday 13th September

I received a reply from the above person, and she has made a few suggestions regarding security settings and such, but, even going through some of these, I am still unable to open her links. However, there have been times when I’ve been searching the Web and clicked on a site, where this has also happened. But, with this one, the links never open at all. Most odd!

Yesterday was a mad day and, with six miles and six locks, the whole trip shouldn’t have taken more than three hours. But, because we had two ahead of us, we were delayed somewhat, especially as one of them was being handled by just one person. Even with Sheila helping him, we were still much slower than usual. The last straw was the delay at the final lock, which is at the start of the Middlewich Arm or, more correctly, The Wardle canal. When we came out of the final lock on the T&M, we not only had to wait for another boat to exit the Wardle lock and turn around to go back in, we also had to wait for another boat to come down that lock.

As a result of all these delays the trip took us 4½ hours. Can’t complain though, at least it didn’t rain whilst we were moving. It soon chucked it down though whilst we were drinking our cuppa, then stopped, then started again, which was why we walked into town in the rain. Good fun this boating!

Today has dawned with a red sky, and you know what they say about those. We have no worries though because, having walked into town yesterday, in the pouring rain, it doesn’t frighten us. In any case, we’re catching the bus to Northwich this morning and will visit our local butcher on our return.

My art guru, Emma, has now suggested she calls this Caravan painting, ‘Painting a Scene’, which does make more sense since it really isn’t a landscape as such. She also suggests painting a ‘Sunset over Water’ scene, which I would really love to have a go at. Meanwhile, I now have my instructions for starting on the caravan itself. And it is also time to wake my ‘sleeping beauty’. Duty calls!

Friday 14th September

The mornings are now getting darker, well, they are when I get up and, even at 6.15, which is about when I take Rusty out, the sun isn’t quite awake either. This probably means that, as the nights also lengthen, the temperature will start to fall and we will definitely need the central heating. Thus far, having cleared some of the gunk out of the chimney stack, we’ve had a fire going, so we have now contacted an engineer who will service the heating when we get to Barbridge in a few days time. Eric, the engineer, was the one who fitted our fan belt and carried out our oil change when we were on the Montgomery. He will either take it away and pass it on to the people he uses, or send them along to carry out a diagnostic and service.

Yesterday was, I found, very tiring. It was another one of those days where, having walked into Middlewich, we then took a 40 minute bus ride into Northwich, which was followed by more walking to the art shop and another, rather speedy walk back to the bus stop, where the bus had already pulled in and was waiting to change drivers. Another 40 minute bus ride was followed by the walk to the butcher’s and on to the boat. It’s only the strain on my legs that’s knackering me, not the exercise itself.

In the art shop I bought a few ‘in between’ coloured pencils, plus a soft pad of mixed colour paper, along with photo album corners and pastel holders, which will save getting my hands too messy.

We arrived back just in time for lunch, which meant we had been away for almost four hours, so our wee pooch was only too happy to welcome us home, especially as she was bursting for a pee. Lunch consisted of left-over sausage, with fried egg in a bap. Yummy! And, since we do seem to have rather a lot of eggs, breakfast will be eggs on toast. Yummee again!

We were hoping to move about half way to Barbridge today but, with that howling, gale force wind out there, this is rather doubtful. This is not the ideal weather for cruising, as I have said many times before. Still, so long as we are there for Sunday, I’m not too bothered. I can always get on with my painting while we wait for it to calm down.

Saturday 15th September

Having said we probably wouldn’t move due to the high wind, when Sheila returned from the shops the wind had dropped, so on we went, only for the wind to get going again. But, since we were now on our way and it wasn’t raining, we decided to press on and finally stopped between bridges 17 and 18, about a mile short of our actual destination.

This is a very quiet stretch of the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie, no road bridges and no railway lines, so the rest of the day and last night were very peaceful.

Sunday 16th September

When I awoke yesterday morning, with the wind whipping up waves on the surface of the water, I had my doubts about getting to Barbridge but, by the time we had breakfast, the wind had dropped and it looked like the sun might make an appearance. We had two locks and about six miles to do, with a stop at the Venitian Marina for cola and diesel.

We arrived at Barbridge and topped up with water and, after finding a mooring spot, I gave our engineer, Eric, a bell and we have arranged to meet him on the way to Chester, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully we will have the heating running within the next few day, then I’ll be able to let the fire go out and remove the rest of the gunk from the chimney.

We intend stopping off at Crisselton for this heater service and will also take the bus into Chester. The last time we were there, which was before I’d had my knees replaced, we moored up below the city wall and Sheila took a walk around the town with another boating lady, after which we moved on to Ellesmere Port. This time around I’ll be able to see some of the town.

Alan and Chris Oxley flew off to China on the 12th, although Alan had told us it would be the 13th, so we didn’t have the chance to wish them well on their trip. They will only be away for a month, during which time they are taking a boat trip on the Yellow River. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet up with them when they return to the U.K. and before they go back to Germany.

When we arrived here at Barbridge yesterday, there were afew boats moored up, but nowhere near as many as usual. On a normal weekend it can be difficult finding a place to tie up, but there were so few boats here that we had no problem at all. In fact, even before we walked to the bus stop for our trip into Nantwich, most of the boats that were here had moved off.

As usual, when we are here for a weekend, we’ll call in to the Old Barbridge Inn for a lunchtime drink. Well, it would be rude not to!

I received an email from my old work colleague and friend, Les, this morning. She’s the lady who chaperoned the kids whilst I drove the mini-bus over, six years ago! Doesn’t time fly? Anyway we still keep in touch, sometimes by phone; when I remember to call her; and sometimes by email. Her husband, Dave, is an up market motor engineer and travels to all sorts of exotic locations servicing expensive track cars. He also has his own workshop in Harlow and is a very busy man, I’m pleased to say. Having gone through a slow spot recently, he’s just returned from Cyprus, so I’m hoping thinks are now on the up.

Must stop there, doggie needs servicing!

Monday 17th September

Well, the nights are drawing out and, with the mornings being darker for longer, I have a feeling autumn is almost upon us. This is even more noticeable with the trees beginning to turn colour. But, at least the daytime is still quite mild and we are not finding it necessary to wear warmer coats. The biggest problem for us is the damned daddy long legs that invade us in the evenings when our lights are on. Even with the curtains closed the little blighters still find their way in, and we’re left to catch them and throw them out of the hatch.

Fortunately, with the sun shining and a light breeze, we were able to sit in the pub garden yesterday lunchtime. I can think of no more pleasant way of spending an hour or so, than with a couple of pints and a bag of crisps. How sad is that?

We’ll be turning around and heading off towards Chester this morning. This is so that we can meet up with our engineer and have the heater system serviced.

Meanwhile, with seven pages written already, I’ll wish you all a very pleasant week.

All the best from Dave, Sheila and Rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment