Wednesday 20 May 2009

Penkridge to Market Drayton

Tuesday 12th May 2009

Hi from Cross Green and a new blog. We left Penkridge at 8 o/clock this morning with the express intention of getting to Cross Green, which we have done and which took us four hours, through six locks and 7 ½ miles. Whilst it was a pleasant enough trip, the wind was still a little stronger than I would have liked.

Cross Green lies to the east of the Staffordshire village of Coven, and that village boasts a rather fine butchers and a bookshop. Having purchased a few victuals from this esteemed establishment in the past, we were quite looking forward to repeating the experience.

In addition we had hoped to browse the bookshop shelves, because we have a list of novels we’ve been chasing up for some time. Sadly this shop wasn’t open today and won’t be open until Thursday. So, it looks like a two night stay here.

The local pub, called The Fox and Anchor, is another fine watering hole that we’ve taken advantage of in the past, so you won’t be surprised to hear that, for the second day running, we stopped in for a snifter or two. Just for a change I departed from the Guinness, having worked up a thirst by accompanying Wifey to the aforementioned butchers. Instead I was more than happy to indulge my taste for my second preference in alcoholic beverages, Stella Artois lager, to my mind the best a pub has to offer.

The weather forecast is not looking too good for the rest of the week, so we decided against a two night stay at Cross Green. Instead we went on to Brewood – pronounced “Brood” by the locals – where there happens to be another pub that we’ve used before, called The Bridge Inn, which is, as you would expect, just by a bridge and a very short walk from our moorings.

Brewood also boasts a good butchers, which is just as well because I’m running out of pork pies. This is quite a spread out village as shops goes, so it took Wifey a while to do the shopping whilst I imbibed a couple of Guinnesses. The village name derives from the Celtic bre for hill, hence wood on a hill. There are several old buildings here, not least of which are the Old Smithy Cottages, which were built around 1350.

Thursday 14th May 2009

From Brewood to Wheaton Aston is just three miles, taking in one lock and so, as it’s not raining, we’ve decided to spend a night or two there instead of here. Besides which, our moorings at Brewood are pretty dark and dismal, especially in these overcast conditions, because there are tall trees on both sides of the canal here.

Having completed the three miles in just 1 ½ hours, we’re now settled in just by bridge 19 which, surprise, surprise, also boasts a pub called The Hartley Arms. However, having already enjoyed several libations over the past three days, I’ll probably give this one a miss. Mind you, should we be obliged to stay here tomorrow, that could be a different story.

Wheaton Aston lays claim to a Post Office, stores, a takeaway; although of which type we don’t know; and a garage. According to Nicholson’s, the village has been pretty much overrun with new housing, but boaters really wouldn’t notice as the village is approached through woods at both ends.

Monday 18th May 2009

You must have noticed that I have not been keeping this blog up to date on a daily basis. Suffice it to say, that I’m just being lazy, as befits a retired old duffer. That’s not to say I’m ignoring my duties in this respect, I simply have other things I want to do and they do require my daily attention.

Anyway, here we are at Norbury Junction, having spent the last two days at Gnosall, which is pronounced nosul.

Most of you would have heard the nursery rhyme about four and twenty blackbirds I think? If memory serves me, the birds used in the pie were not blackbirds but crows, which are somewhat bigger. For those of you who might want to venture into that particular culinary area, Gonsall would be an ideal place to start. Shiralee is, as I write, covered with their droppings, and you would be doing us boaters a big favour if you were to concentrate your efforts along the Shropshire Union Canal section running through that village.

We had the choice of two pubs at Gnosall, and we were moored up between them. Behind us was The Boat and ahead of us The Navigation Inn. We chose the latter after the toss of a coin. No doubt, if we return this way, we’ll give the other one a shot. Well, it would be rude not to.

Norbury Junction was once the meeting point of the Shroppy and what was the Newport Branch. With a long line of Permit Holder Moorings here, it’s just as well that this junction also has toilets, showers and laundry facilities. Not all BW moorings are so blessed, which brings me to my next point.

As you all know my body is in need of some repair, namely to my knee joints, which are becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I have already been advised by my GP, that I can have one of them replaced immediately, all I have to do is arrange a meeting with a consultant at the hospital. The problem comes with what follows, which is two weeks in hospital and about two to three months of physio and recuperation.

Now, since we have spent the past two winters at Bulbourne, this would present a problem of logistics. Obviously we would have to try and find winter moorings near Harlow if I am to continue under my present GP’s care, and that could be even more expensive than it has been at Bulbourne, simply because the nearer to London the dearer everything becomes. And that includes fuel and beer, not to mention foodstuffs.

So, instead of getting sorted this year – well, in one knee anyway – we’ve decided to start looking for permanent moorings. Naturally we would prefer to, at least, somewhere south of Birmingham. The thought of a three or more hours of driving just to spend a few hours with my one and only brother, is not something that appeals to me.

Therefore, once we’re past Brummyland on our way back, we’ll be looking out for canalside moorings, but not BW ones if we can help it. Actually we’ve been online to see what we can find and, in truth, there doesn’t appear to be much out there. However, we do pass quite a few canalside farms that advertise a contact number for information about moorings. Hopefully something will eventually turn up.

Unfortunately, and not for the first time, even though my laptop tells me that my modem is connected, I am still unable to get online. This is a problem we encountered along this canal last year, so it comes as no surprise. If I have time I’ll have another try tomorrow to post this blog.

Wednesday 20th May 2009

Having come through 5 locks and 4 miles without getting a good soaking, I suppose we can consider ourselves very lucky. The same could not be said for yesterday, when we left Norbury Junction and heading for Goldstone. Well, when I say heading for Goldstone, that’s not strictly true. We were headed in that general direction but hadn’t decided where to stop.

The Shropshire Union Canal boasts quite a few designated mooring spots, which have iron mooring rings attached. But, and it’s a big but, there can be quite a distance between these sites. The first of these was about 3 miles away but, when we tried to moor up, we found ourselves bottoming out with a gap between the boat and the towpath.

Not being ones to give in too easily, we soldiered on, and on, and on, until the heavens opened up and we were obliged to bring out the trusty brolly. And thus we continued for a further 5 miles until we reached Goldstone, from which I sent the text that didn’t get sent. Ah well, at least I’ve been able to get online here at Market Drayton.

I would seriously consider posting the blog today, but I have no idea when I’ll be in a position to text you that I’ve done so. Hey! I might post it anyway. I’ll also continue texting, and I wonder how many ypo’ll receive at once.

Cheers for now

Dave, Sheila and Rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment